CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Questions on electronic edge finders

on 2005-03-30 17:29:32 UTC
This is a great idea! Thank you for the suggestion. In answer to your
question, I would like something that can also serve as a 3D digitizer.
Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Andrey

-----Original Message-----
From: caudlet [mailto:thom@...]
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 7:51 PM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Questions on electronic edge finders

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "cnc_4_me" <cnc4me@g...>
wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, alipavsky@i... wrote:
> >
> > 1) I need an electronic edge finder with an 1/8" shank. I've
been
> looking
> > online for a couple weeks fruitlessly so I hope somebody has
> suggestions.
> > 2) Do TurboCNC or Mach2 deal with such devices?

If the quest is for a small 1/8" edge finder you could use a piece of
1/8 drill rod or other appropriate stem. A piece of nylon turned to
1/4" on one end and 1/8" on the other and a hole drilled in the 1/4"
end to press fit the rod. The trick would be to get a small stranded
insulated wire (with the insulation stripped back about 1/2 inch)
swedged in with the rod. Now you have a probe that is the postive
end of a "finder". The negative goes to the machine and when the tip
touches metal you can use the closed circuit to actiave a remote
light or buzzer.

This describes an 'edge finder" that is a lateral touch tool. If you
are looking for a probe to use with MACH2 (which has a probe input
that is typically used for 3D digitizing) then its a different
animal. Are you looking to zero the DRO in MACH2 when you touch an
edge? You still have to crank in the offset for the probe rod
(radius).

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

timg@...
Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@...
[Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
you have trouble.