CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC Real Time Linux installation

Posted by Ray Henry
on 2000-06-10 07:48:10 UTC
I received a prompt read and reply from Doug and want to include one of his
comments here because it might affect the way you decide to install rtlinux.

-----Doug quote-----
You wrote:
"I let mandrake set up the disk partitions but renamed the smaller one (/)
and the bigger
one (/usr)."

Usually (in unix) in that instance, you would use /home for the bigger
partition.
Since all the users files are in /home/<username> you can then do a system
re-install (ie updating the OS) without touching /home and leave all of the
users files intact. However, it is obviously a good idea to have a backup
of /home - just in case!
-----

He is correct, of course. I was thinking of a very specialized use when I
did the install.

Ray

>Message: 1 Digest Number 522
> Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 22:26:04 -0500
> From: Dan Falck <dfalck@...>
>
>Ray Henry was kind enough to write up his experiences with installing RTLinux
>on the Mandrake 7.0 distribution. You can find the page that he wrote here :
>
>http://www.linuxcnc.org/Cookbook/rtl.html
>
>For installation of RTLinux on the original RedHat 5.2 distritution, go to:
>
>http://206.19.206.56/installemc.htm
>
>for Tim Goldstein's excellent instructions and script.
>

>Dan
>
>www.linuxcnc.org

Discussion Thread

Ray Henry 2000-06-10 07:48:10 UTC Re: EMC Real Time Linux installation