CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 3D Digitizing

Posted by walt smith
on 2000-06-11 00:21:22 UTC
Dean,

A little off the subject, but i currently have a Sureline with CNC. frankly
its a toy and useless to me. I was going to get a Smithy-but heard a lot of
very bad stuff about the backlash and couldn't find and Ball screww
conversions. (there are plenty of fokes that make ball screws, but it would
up to me to get them to work).

Which is how I found my way to the Shop Task.

Now I think I'm going to get the 2000 with the ball screw and z axis cnc
conversion. (I can't rember the guy that dose the conversions--but its the
guy that is building the 1/4 scale Hemi)

At anyrate, I'd like it very much if you kept me up to date on your
experinces with the Shoptask

Thanks!

Craig

-----Original Message-----
From: Dean Lewis [mailto:dean___lewis@...]
Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2000 2:58 AM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 3D Digitizing

Hello to all!

I am new to the list and would like to ask for some help and
guidance.

I am looking at purchasing a Shoptask 2000 with the CNC stepper
option and ball screws. I am well versed in working with CAD and I
have a strong need for digitizing several parts for reverse
engineering. I noticed that Maxnc offers a digitizer(RS232 probe)
and mill setup, but is too small. The ST 2000 is an ideal size and
capacity for what I need. The question I have is that can EMC be set
up for digitizing? I have already installed EMC on my Linux PC and
been messing with it a little. If it cannot do digitizing, is there
another reasonable software package available for doing this?
Renishaw offer a probe and an additional controller for it that
allows for non-voltage switching that could be adapted for RS232, but
they do not offer software.

I ran across Centroid and their products. I recently attended a
local machine trade show and saw their setup first hand. Although it
is a PC console setup with servo, it comes with a hefty price of
12.5K for the servos/controller alone. Their non-conductive surface
probe and digitizing software would run an additional 5K. I have
exausted my resources looking for alternatives. I would appreciate
any help. Thank you in advance!!

Regards,

Dean Lewis

Would you like to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on saving
more each month? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!
http://click.egroups.com/1/2567/3/_/423600/_/960706647/