CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: Help with Bridgeport retrofit parts and plans

on 2005-05-04 05:30:37 UTC
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "CalBoy101" <pt@f...> wrote:
> > Hello-
> >
> > I'm planning to do a stepper motor CNC retrofit on a Bridgeport
> > clone mill. I'm starting to figure out what I'll need, and any help
> > with or comments on the following would be great. Money is tight so
> > I'm trying to go with suppliers where I'll get both acceptable
> > quality and good pricing.
> >
> > Stepper motors-
> >
> > From what I can tell, for a Bridgeport size mills, 1200 to 1300 oz-
> > in. motors seemed to be commonly used. I'm considering the ones from
> > http://www.camtronics-cnc.com/ I'm looking at their models:
> >
> > 1H34-113 1303 OZ IN 2.5A $195
> > 1H34-114 1303 OZ IN 4.5A $195
> >
> > Does anybody have any comments on these motors for this application
> > or a suggestion of better motors?
> >

> I have never seen a nema 34 stepper that could drive a Bridgeport.

There are many new series type 34 motors that are more powerfull than the original Bridgport ones with less inertia to boot.
Bridgeport originally fitted anything from 950 ozin up to 1100 oz/in in the 42 frame.
I have seen some triple stack 1700 oz/in motors in a 34 frame advertised.

What makes you think that one of these will not work ?

My Beaver mill which is bigger than a Bridgeport runs 950 oz/in motors direct onto a 5tpi ballscrew with no problem.

John S.