CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Bearing Lock Nuts on 5/8 in ballscrews

Posted by mmeyers1111
on 2005-06-02 16:26:23 UTC
Marcus and John - Thanks for your insight and suggestions.

Does anybody know where I can purchase back issues of Model
Engineer's Workshop or get reprints of Dick Stephen's article...

Volume 103 (December/January 2004/2005) "Retrofitting the X3 Milling
Machine"

I found out how to order a subscription, but I can't find info on
getting back issues.

Mike

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "selbyplus4" <doc@j...>
wrote:
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "mmeyers1111"
> <mmeyers1111@y...> wrote:
> > Hi folks...
> >
> > I'm going to turn the ends of some Rockford 5/8 inch ballscrews
> and
> > I was wondering if anybody has experience with bearing lock nuts
> and
> > who could comment on a few questions. The lock nut will be used
> > preload an angular contact bearing with a 12mm = 0.4724 inch
> inside
> > diameter that is mounted inside a bearing block. I've never used
> > ballscrews or bearing lock nuts so this is very new to me. I'm
> doing
> > this to the ends of 4 ballscrews. I'll be turning them as R-30
> Type
> > C ends (http://www.rockfordballscrew.com/semchart.htm).
> >
> > 1) I noticed that McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com) has
> > bearing lock nuts in 2 different sizes that would be reasonable
> for
> > a 5/8 in screw (.391"-32 and .469"-32 ). The bearing portion
(non-
> > threaded portion) of the ballscrew shaft will be turned to
0.4724
> > inch to accept a 12mm ID angular contact bearing. So I guess I'm
> > thinking that the .469 – 32 TPI threads would be the best
> choice
> and
> > the bearing should slip over the threaded portion without
trouble.
> > Does the .469 -32 lock nut sound like the most reasonable
choice?
> > Yes/no?
> >
> > 2) I noticed that the McMastrer-Carr bearing lock nut indicates
> that
> > it is `self retaining' and I don't see any bearing lock nut
> washers
> > available for it. Other nuts I've seen seem to require special
> > washers. Is it true that that all I need is the lock nut itself
> and
> > that a washer would play no role in making sure it stays
`locked'
> > Yes/no?
> >
> > 3) Do bearing lock nuts typically have special threads that
> require
> > a special die to cut them, or can I use my lathe to cut 32 TPI
> > threads with the compound rest set at 29.5 degrees? I'm assuming
> > this isn't a simple yes/no. Sorry.
> >
> > 4) Does anybody use a simpler less expensive approach to
> preloading
> > angular contact bearings on a shaft so that I don't have to
> purchase
> > special bearing lock nuts?
> >
> > 5) Can anybody suggest other/better lock nuts from other
suppliers?

> > Sorry for the length of this folks…
> >
> > Mike
>
> Hi Mike. your answers might well lie in an article by Dick Stephen
> in issue 103 of Model Engineers workshop. Basically what you put
on
> [...]

Discussion Thread

mmeyers1111 2005-05-31 05:35:30 UTC Bearing Lock Nuts on 5/8 in ballscrews turbulatordude 2005-05-31 06:05:05 UTC Re: Bearing Lock Nuts on 5/8 in ballscrews Marcus and Eva 2005-05-31 08:05:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bearing Lock Nuts on 5/8 in ballscrews turbulatordude 2005-05-31 09:42:16 UTC Re: Bearing Lock Nuts on 5/8 in ballscrews selbyplus4 2005-06-01 06:51:14 UTC Re: Bearing Lock Nuts on 5/8 in ballscrews selbyplus4 2005-06-01 06:53:38 UTC Re: Bearing Lock Nuts on 5/8 in ballscrews mmeyers1111 2005-06-02 16:26:23 UTC Re: Bearing Lock Nuts on 5/8 in ballscrews George Taylor, IV 2005-06-02 18:44:54 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Bearing Lock Nuts on 5/8 in ballscrews Steve Stallings 2005-06-02 18:47:07 UTC Re: Bearing Lock Nuts on 5/8 in ballscrews George Taylor, IV 2005-06-03 08:57:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Bearing Lock Nuts on 5/8 in ballscrews mmeyers1111 2005-06-03 17:02:07 UTC Re: Bearing Lock Nuts on 5/8 in ballscrews