CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Mystery driver and motor

Posted by robertokx
on 2005-06-05 20:18:10 UTC
Thanks very much Dave and Jon for the excellent advice.
Without people such as yourself I would have no hope of getting any
where with this hobby.

I neglected to mention that I purchased the motor and driver from the
bankrupcy sale of Advanced Rapid Robotics (ARRM). They have not
turned off their website as yet.

I'll check the IC's etc as suggested.

Thanks
Robert

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "turbulatordude"
<dave_mucha@y...> wrote:
> Advanced Rapid Robotic is the first hit on google. I didn't see a
> board number, but when you remove it, there may be a place
undernieth
> with a board number. An E-mail to the tech support may yield a
> installation or calibration manual. not that the board is that
important.

> There is no photo of the driver. the board may also have a
> manufacture number, and those data sheets may be available.
>

> Looks like add-on board is as you said, a remote signal device.
>
> I'm guessing the motor is a 5 phase so is matched to the driver.
>
> 5 wires of the motor to 5 terminals on the driver. any it is high
> step count and low cogging as you surmized.
>
> As for inputs. remove the add-on board and the silk screen would
have
> pretty much the same letters as the board.
>
> PS VCC would be Power Supply Vcc
> PS GND would be Power Supply Ground
>

> CW and CCW would be your inputs. clock wise and counter clock
wise.
> Not quite step and direction, but close enough to make it work
easily.

> If that is the case,then all you need is a buffer card with a logic
> chip. let the step run thru the chip, and let the DIR select which
> output to use.
>
> Here's the rub. without a data sheet, you don't know what voltage
> drive it with. ergo, reverse engineer that ARRM board. The two
PS
> Vcc lines are connected and run around the board. it MAY be a 5
volt
> PS. check the the two IC's for their data sheets. check the
resistos
> on the LED's and calculate voltage based on 10mA.
>
> Since it looks like the power is comming thru that board and is
> handled by the traces on it, the current cannot be that high. Also,
> since there is not 5V voltage regulaotr or any semblence of a
> step-down or power regulation for the driver logic as opposed to
the
> driver power supply, I would tend to think it is low voltage and low
> current.
>
> Now for testing.....
>
> Assuming all the switches are set for the last time it ran, I would
> assume it can run again by just adding power and your input signal.
>

> What are the IC chip numbers ?
> remove that board and take a photo of it from the bottom. it may be
> that you can run the driver directly from the PC, but more likely
(and
> more safely) you need to make a small board with the step and
> direction on it.
>
> measure the power trace for PS Vcc between the MON and POWER
circles
> then google PCB TRACE WIDTH CALCULATOR and use 5 volts and that
width
> to see the maximum current. (the lower reading is for traced
between
> multiple layer boards, you are on top, or exposed)

Discussion Thread

robertokx 2005-06-04 00:53:13 UTC Mystery driver and motor robertokx 2005-06-04 06:12:12 UTC Re: Mystery driver and motor turbulatordude 2005-06-04 08:00:10 UTC Re: Mystery driver and motor Jon Elson 2005-06-04 11:14:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Mystery driver and motor robertokx 2005-06-05 20:18:10 UTC Re: Mystery driver and motor turbulatordude 2005-06-06 07:51:42 UTC Re: Mystery driver and motor