CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Ball Screw Balls

Posted by ddfalck2002
on 2005-06-17 17:49:47 UTC
Dustin,

You can get grade 25 chrome steel balls, any size you like, from Balltech in Los Angeles. I
had a similar project this last month, reloading 8 ground ballscrews. They sell balls in
.0001" increments. You can achieve different preload values (ie different backlash values)
by loading different size balls in. Work over the top of a big Rubbermaid tub, with lots of
light. Keep everything as clean as possible.
You might want to take a look at condition of the screw and nuts first, to see what's
causing the rough feel. Steinmeyer has some good info on ballscrews, and ballscrew wear
here:

http://www.steinmeyer.com/english/newslet.htm

Read through the newsletters.

Dan

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "garageboy21" <garageboy21@y...>
wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a ground ball screw and nut combo. It is a .2in pitch screw
> and has a nut with two races for the balls, each holds about 100 1/8
> in balls. The problem is that when I fill one with balls, it runs
> very smoothly, with very little backlash. When I try and fill the
> second race, the nut binds up and becomes hard to turn.
>
> Is there a place to get balls of slightly smaller diameter, say
> .1245in? Or do I have a defective/mismatched nut/screw?
>
> Thanks for any advise.
>
> Dustin

Discussion Thread

garageboy21 2005-06-17 15:29:19 UTC Ball Screw Balls ddfalck2002 2005-06-17 17:49:47 UTC Re: Ball Screw Balls Ron Kline 2005-06-17 18:36:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Ball Screw Balls rrrevels 2005-06-17 19:21:56 UTC Re: Ball Screw Balls