CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNC lathe question

Posted by Keith Clark
on 2005-06-27 14:36:12 UTC
Victor,

Thanks for your input. I think I am on the right track then. I
will use the existing motor for rapid rpm work and add a stepper
motor to control the 4th axis for threading. It is already set up
for very slow rpm through the timing pulleys and with a tachometer
to calibrate it, It might be possible to run it as is with CNC
control of the carriage. This lathe is a gigantic one so
replacement with a metal lathe is not an option due to the cost.
Should be fun to work out the problems. I appreciate your
thoughts. I too wonder why the Legacy still is without motor...

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "victorlorenzo"
<victorlorenzo@y...> wrote:
> Keith:
>
> To cut threads in a metal lathe, a set of gears synchronizes the
> spindle with the carriage. A normal wood lathe of course lacks
these
> gears. For that reason people sometimes use a metal lathe to cut
wood.
> A router is easily accomodated on top of the carriage. I would
venture
> to say that you can get a metal lathe for less than a good CNC
> conversion of a wood lathe, if all you want to cut is flutes and
> spirals.
>
> Expensive CNC turning centers often have what is
called "controllable
> spindles" usually powered by servo motors. A servo motor is just
> motor that sends feedback to the controller while the controller
> adjusts the speed. They are able to cut threads without the
gears,
> since the controller is the equivalent of an electronic set of
gears.

> In addition, most wood lathe's slowest speed might be too fast for
> routing spirals and flutes. The spindle speed still needs to be
> synchronized with the cutter. An encoder (like a tachometer) can
be
> added to the lathe head. Now you need a CNC controller that takes
> feedback from the encoder, etc.
>
> Thinking about this (for the last few months, no less !!) I have
come
> to the conclusion that there are a two good ways to accomplish
this.

> One, and probably the least expensive one, would be to add an
auxiliary
> motor to the spindle. The lathe head then would function just
like a
> rotary table (4th axis), and any CNC software capable of
controlling a
> 4th axis should work with it. The motor can drive the spindle by
means
> of timing belts and pulleys, which can be on the outboard side.
These
> have little notches in them that mate to keep the timing accurate;
they
> don't slip.
>
> The second, best but most expensive, is to use a cnc mill with
rotary
> table 4th axis.
>
> I sometimes wonder why the Legacy mill does not have a driving
> motor ....
>
> Hope this helps, best regards !

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Clark" <mail@t...>
wrote:
> > I am trying to build a CNC controlled router to mount onto a
> > woodturning lathe. It will hopefully do shaping but I am also
hoping
> > for thread operations for barley twists etc. Does it seem
reasonable
> > to have 2 motors, one variable speed spindle motor for normal
lathe
> > operations and another stepper motor to do the threading
operations?
> > Would it be possible to do threading with the variable speed
> > controller
> > and spindle motor alone. It seems this would require a very
accurate
> > knowledge of the RPMs to time the travel of the carriage. I am
> > thinking that a stepper motor would be accurate enough, but
probably
> > not turn fast enough for normal lathe operations.
> >
> > I know how it works on my manual metalworking lathe, but I will
not
> > have the gearing that lathe uses.
> >
> > Thanks for your input,
> >
> > Keith Clark

Discussion Thread

Keith Clark 2005-06-27 12:19:59 UTC CNC lathe question victorlorenzo 2005-06-27 14:24:28 UTC Re: CNC lathe question Keith Clark 2005-06-27 14:36:12 UTC Re: CNC lathe question Jon Elson 2005-06-27 22:12:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC lathe question