CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Check my math and reasoning....

on 2005-06-27 16:20:11 UTC
Brady,

If that is the case than 70 volts may be OK. Typically when using Gecko
drives I look at the 20 to 25 tune. Sometimes if necessary the 5 to 20 rule.

I like to run my stepper motors at a voltage that is about 20 times the name
plate voltage. At least it seems to work for me. With Gecko drives you do
need to keep it below the 80 volt maximum. I like to keep it below 70 volts.

If the voltage is going to be the same for both the servo and stepper
motors, than one supply most would likely be OK.

Bob Campbell
Bob@...
www.campbelldesigns.com
Breakout board
THC board sets
CNC router plans
Stepper Motors
VisualMill Basic
----- Original Message -----
From: "braidmeister" <braidmeister@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, June 27, 2005 6:13 PM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Check my math and reasoning....

>I have no idea as the nameplate on the Sigma stepper is buried (only
> shows wiring schematic). I was told by a very reputable source on
> driving steppers that the Nema42 motors need the higher voltage &
> that this would push the torque curve up a little higher than stock
> configuration. The original supply, I believe is 60v for these
> steppers...I sincerely doubt that an increase of 10v would have any
> negative effect.
>
> -Brady
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Campbell" <bob@c...>
> wrote:
>> Brady,
>>
>> Just one more question. What is the name plate voltage on your
> stepper
>> motors?
>>
>> Bob Campbell
>> Bob@c...
>> www.campbelldesigns.com
>> Breakout board
>> THC board sets
>> CNC router plans
>> Stepper Motors
>> VisualMill Basic

Discussion Thread

braidmeister 2005-06-27 15:05:19 UTC Check my math and reasoning.... Robert Campbell 2005-06-27 15:22:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Check my math and reasoning.... Les Newell 2005-06-27 15:26:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Check my math and reasoning.... braidmeister 2005-06-27 15:29:23 UTC Re: Check my math and reasoning.... Robert Campbell 2005-06-27 15:59:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Check my math and reasoning.... braidmeister 2005-06-27 16:13:24 UTC Re: Check my math and reasoning.... braidmeister 2005-06-27 16:17:18 UTC Re: Check my math and reasoning.... Robert Campbell 2005-06-27 16:20:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Check my math and reasoning.... Roy J. Tellason 2005-06-28 08:10:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Check my math and reasoning....