CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How important is ballscrew alignment?

Posted by Les Newell
on 2005-07-01 04:37:54 UTC
Hi Abby,

Does it feel the same over the whole travel? If it gets stiffer towards
one end then it would be a good idea to do something about it. If you
loosen the nut mounting onto the saddle does it get easier? If so you do
really need to sort it out. If it is the nut mounting that is the
problem here is one bodger's method of getting accurate alignment:

Assuming the nut fits in some sort of block that is then bolted to the Y
axis, make sure there is a small gap between the block and the Y axis
with the bolts loose. If you need to machine the block down a bit then
do so. You don't need much of a gap as long as there is one. Now fill
the gap with epoxy paste such as 'chemical metal' or 'metalset'. Make
sure none gets in the bolt holes. Grease the bolts and lightly screw
them in but don't tighten them up. Assemble everything and leave it to
set overnight. Now tighten the bolts up. Plenty of machinists will
cringe but this technique does work!

Les