CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Please take a look over my shoulder – CAD CAM CNC Bench Mill System

on 2005-07-01 09:53:11 UTC
Fred thank you very much for both your replies.

I just received them and read them over. I appreciate you taking the
time to answer each of of my endless questions. You have taught me a
lot. This subject is overwhelming no matter how much searching I
do. It is people like you on this forum that taught me the most, and
in such a short time. Again thank you.

Whelen

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Smith" <imserv@v...>
wrote:
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "whelenremington"
> <wperun1@r...> wrote:
> > I've been researching the web for three weeks to figure out how
> > select the software, electronics, motors, and mechanicals to put
> > together a bench mill system.
>

> > My present system contains a MicroLux Milling Machine #82573
> > purchased from Micro Mark. I also have a MicroLux 7x14 Lathe
> #82710,
> > so I can do fabrication to mount servo motors, and or build new
> x,
> > and y axis slides. I'll start with the lead screws that came with
> > the
> > milling machine. Need information about, do I need to modify the
> lead
> > screw nuts, as an example. I plan to measure backlash.
>
> This is what is called a micro mill. It is light duty and should
be
> fine for the size and types of parts you describe.
>
> In order to convert any machine to CNC, you need to make it "CNC-
> ready"
>
> Here is how I define CNC ready:
>
> 1) Thrust bearings to prevent end play on all axes
> 2) Anti-backlash nuts on the lead screws
> 3) Motor mounts
> 4) Flex couplings to adapt motor shafts to lead screws
>
> The X and y axis on a micro mill are relatively straightforward to
> accomplish, but the Z is more complicated because of the drill
> handle mechanism. Steve Stallings of PMDX has a ball screw Z axis
> that he has built on his machine. It avoids the drill handle mess
> and substitutes a precision leadscrew. A similar device with an
> Acme screw would be sufficient for a micro-mill.
>

> > I guess I want to output .stl files from my CAD software. There
> is
> > also .dxf, but I don't understand why I would prefer .stl over
> > .dxf
> > output files.
>
> .stl is for 3D surfaces only, this includes carved and sculpted
forms
> .DXF can be used for 3d surfaces or prismatic shapes, contours, and
> engraving.
>

> > Again what would you suggest for the CAD and CAM software for my
> > application? Where do I specify the .stl mesh size? In the CAD
> or
> > the CAM software?
>
> You specify the .stl mesh density in the Cad software and you
> specify the tool cutting pattern and density in the CAM software.
>
> > Next I guess I need translator software. The CAM output files
are
> > code, I think (what is M code?). I find the translator software
> > confusing. What is it doing? Is it part of the motor drive
> > electronics package, which provides the CNC signals to the motor
> > drivers?
>

> See this link:
>
> Creating CNC parts: The software
>
> http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/hobby/creating_CNC_parts.htm
>

> > I might want a tool-path simulation software.

> [...]

Discussion Thread

whelenremington 2005-06-30 18:11:17 UTC Please take a look over my shoulder – CAD CAM CNC Bench Mill System Jack 2005-06-30 23:01:50 UTC Re: Please take a look over my shoulder – CAD CAM CNC Bench Mill System Abby Katt 2005-07-01 02:40:45 UTC How important is ballscrew alignment? Les Newell 2005-07-01 04:26:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Please take a look over my shoulder – CAD CA M CNC Bench Mill System Les Newell 2005-07-01 04:37:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How important is ballscrew alignment? Fred Smith 2005-07-01 05:04:23 UTC Re: Please take a look over my shoulder – CAD CAM CNC Bench Mill System victorlorenzo 2005-07-01 06:46:15 UTC Re: Please take a look over my shoulder – turbulatordude 2005-07-01 07:23:24 UTC Re: Please take a look over my shoulder –base machine Fred Smith 2005-07-01 08:28:41 UTC Re: Please take a look over my shoulder – whelenremington 2005-07-01 09:41:41 UTC Re: Please take a look over my shoulder – CAD CAM CNC Bench Mill System whelenremington 2005-07-01 09:46:02 UTC Re: Please take a look over my shoulder – CAD CAM CNC Bench Mill System whelenremington 2005-07-01 09:53:11 UTC Re: Please take a look over my shoulder – CAD CAM CNC Bench Mill System whelenremington 2005-07-01 09:59:52 UTC Re: Please take a look over my shoulder –base machine