CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Cheap balscrew sought desperately - drem desktop CNC machine on the way

Posted by Matjaz Kos
on 2005-07-13 13:25:50 UTC
There are two reasons why Ebay is out of question for me:
- I want to be able to reuse my design every time I get an order; If I would
want to build single machine tahn this would cerainly be a good option for
low cost build.
- They are usualy too big (16 or 25 mm); I need the small ones....

Thanks for help anyway,

Matjaz

> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:38:35 -0700 (PDT)
> From: R Rogers <rogersmach@...>
> Subject: Re: Cheap balscrew sought desperately - drem desktop CNC machine
> on the way
>
> For $50, I dont think you'll find anything off the shelf in the way of a
> ballscrew assembly. Unless its surplus. Ballscrews themselves are
> relatively inexpensive. The ballnuts are what cost so much money. I'd be
> watching Ebay.
>
> Ron
>
> Matjaz Kos <kos@...> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> A am working on building a small desktop mill with ball linear bearings
> custom made to fit the design.
>
> I have already made MK 1 machine which is working excellent on a 2A
> steppers. I can easily get 50ipm rapids using acme leadscrew and acetal
> nut.
>
> Work envelope is 230mm (X), 160mm(Y) and 130mm(Z), very high repeatability
> and precision due to preload ball bearings and it would be low cost to
> build
> compared to other known desktop systems. I intend to produce and sell kits
> for cnc enthusiasts. It would be ideal machine for precision craftsman,
> pcb
> mill/drill, RC modelmaker....
>
> It will be also possible to use it as CNC lathe if equipped with proper
> spindle.
>
> As to be the best quality possible and low cost desktop design I am now
> searching for a 1/2 inch or if possible even smaller (12 or 10 mm) ball
> leadscrew of the lowest possible cost.
>
> My goal is to build ball supported machine for a price of slide guides and
> acme screw drive..... This would make better performance and precision for
> the same price.
>
> THK, STAR, HIWIN, RELIANCE were too expensive to fit the concept. I could
> get 16mm / 5mm pitch leadscrew from ISEL automation at a very good price -
> but it is way too big for my design. So it is low cost ball bearing or
> backlash adjustable acetal nut. If I can find low cost balscrew it would
> be
> great.
>
> What I am looking at is 50$US per axis assembly including balscrew of
> 350mm
> (14 inch) in length.
>
> For comparison - I can now produce single axis assembly for 15$US
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated!
>
> You can also contact me off list if you want at: kos(at)email.si
>
> Matjaz

Discussion Thread

Matjaz Kos 2005-07-12 12:21:15 UTC Cheap balscrew sought desperately - drem desktop CNC machine on the way R Rogers 2005-07-12 14:38:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Cheap balscrew sought desperately - drem desktop CNC machine on the way Matjaz Kos 2005-07-13 13:25:50 UTC Re: Cheap balscrew sought desperately - drem desktop CNC machine on the way