CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 4365

Posted by Errol Groff
on 2005-07-16 07:07:44 UTC

>Message: 4
> Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 00:10:52 +0100
> From: "Blue" <jo001k1132@...>
>Subject: A machinist tale
>
>Hi,
>
>Some years ago I bought/stole for £600 an ex. technical college Harrison 280
>CNC/Manual 11" lathe which was nearly new, although it dated back to the
>1980's.

<text snip>

> It was as I was doing this I noticed why the second tool needed an
> adjustment
>to its offset. I had left a "0" off a Z G00 movement. You would not believe
>how many times I'd looked at this line of code and not seen the missing
>zero.
>
>Well back to it............. Two weeks work to make 30 ball-handles just as
>well I'm not trying to make a living from them.
>
>Regards,
>
>Terry
>

>The school where I instruct has a Southwestern Industries Trak lathe which
>I generally program using MasterCam software. However the post processor
>doesn't do a perfect job and I have learned - the hard way- to go in and
>edit each program before use. Just about every time there is a problem
>with a program at the lathe I find that it is because of something I
>orverlooked or mis-typed in my editing.

I have not yet figured out how to do threading through MC so I do that on
the machine with the conversational control. I just finished a project for
a fellow club member. The job was to make a Brown and Sharpe worm thread,
3.775 OD, .875 pitch, 55 degree included angle and the final touch is that
it is a left hand thread. None of our manual lathes will gear down that
far so it was a CNC job.

After a lot of head scratching and a moment or two of sheer panic and the
job got done.

http://neme-s.org/BS_Thread_Tool/BS_Thread_Tool.htm Pics and text are
here on the New England Model Engineering Society web site.

Regards to all,

Errol Groff
Instructor, Machine Tool Department

H.H. Ellis Technical School
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06329

860 774 8511 x1811

Home Page http://pages.cthome.net/errol.groff/

The New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org

Discussion Thread

Errol Groff 2005-07-16 07:07:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 4365 Blue 2005-07-16 09:22:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 4365 Jon Elson 2005-07-16 12:55:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 4365