CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Fw: Free X-Cad

Posted by Tom Harrison
on 2005-07-16 13:40:49 UTC
At 7/16/2005 11:49 AM, Thom Carr wrote:
> And if you go to the Dell Computer Website, and in the product search
> box, type in "free lap top" you'll get a free lap top computer to run
> your free 3D-CAD software! BUT first 50,000 people have to say they want
> the free computer. That's how companies say in business. REALLY!

Ah, such cynicism! But Thom, the per-unit cost of software, especially if
downloaded from the manufacturer, is essentially zero, or near to it. This
is not true for laptops, of course, which is why Dell doesn't do such things.

That being said, I participate in a program called "FreeColorPrinters"
(mind the "S" on the end), sponsored by Xerox. I have a model 860 color
ink-deposit printer that does virtually all my office printing, and it only
costs me the normal retail price for the ink blocks and consumables, which
so far have proven to be comparable to other printers of lesser capability
that we've used. Free on-site maintenance is included in the agreement. I
have two medical clinic clients who are likewise subscribed to the program,
and we are all very satisfied.

Xerox (originally Tektronix) used the program to roll out the early units
into the market, and get them tested. In return for printing at least an
agreed-to number of pages each month and sending a monthly report on usage
(generated from the front panel of the printer and FAXed to Xerox), I pay
nothing for the printer, and after three years I own it. Early along, each
printer required some maintenance help, and were quickly repaired (longest
delay: two days for parts). Now all three run without problems (more than
a year). Xerox got invaluable field reporting, and I get a very nice
printer. Technology marches on.

How much would you pay for 100,000 beta testers?

Tom Harrison

> [...]
> >
> > A prior analysis suggested that the company is Alibre (which has
>sent me
> > a dozen emails, and called me several times, since I signed up for
>their
> > demo, which I never got).
> >
> > In any case, it doesn't hurt to sign up with a throwaway address, as
>Tom
> > Harrison pointed out.
> >
> > Oh, and I like CadMax for inexpensive 3D CAD. Fully parametric solids
> > modeling for $295. Can't beat that. (now if only I could remember how
> > to do anything with it :) )
> > - Steve
>

>There is a press release and a review of the concept. the writer says
>he spoke to the owner but keeps that secret.
>
>The concept of X-CAD is to deliver 3d at about $999.00 per seat to
>those who use AutoCAD-LT.
>
>There is no discussion of maintenance fees of additional modules or
>whatever.
>
>As a marketing ploy, getting 100k seats out there means a LOT of talk
>and a LOT of user group action.
>
>By all means, get a fake Yahoo e-mail account and sign up.
>
>If it is easy and works, then it may be nice to have.
>
>Dave
>

>Addresses:
>Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
>
>Subscribe: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
>timg@...
>Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@...
>[Moderators]
>URL to this group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO
>
>OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
>If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
>aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it
>if you have trouble.
>http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

>sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there, for
>OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
>
>NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING THEM.
>DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
>bill
>List Mom
>List Owner
>

>Yahoo! Groups Links

>Addresses:
>Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
>
>Subscribe: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
>timg@...
>Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@...
>davemucha@... [Moderators]
>
>OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
>If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects
>goto: aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
>reach it if you have trouble.
>http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

>sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there, for
>OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
>
>NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
>THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........

Shawncd 2005-07-14 20:30:11 UTC Fw: Free X-Cad Thom Carr 2005-07-14 20:52:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Fw: Free X-Cad Raymond Heckert 2005-07-15 20:19:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Fw: Free X-Cad Tom Harrison 2005-07-15 21:32:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Fw: Free X-Cad Stephen Wille Padnos 2005-07-15 22:47:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Fw: Free X-Cad turbulatordude 2005-07-16 10:39:41 UTC Re: Fw: Free X-Cad Thom Carr 2005-07-16 11:49:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Fw: Free X-Cad Tom Harrison 2005-07-16 13:40:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Fw: Free X-Cad Ron Yost 2005-07-16 18:48:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Fw: Free X-Cad Thom Carr 2005-07-16 19:38:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Fw: Free X-Cad