CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Max stepper motor speed - rpm

Posted by Scott Riddle
on 2005-08-12 22:40:40 UTC
Great info. I have (2) 7/8 dia ball screws and my (4) 36" long THK
rails are limited to about28" of travel when I take out the length and
spacing of the 2 bearing blocks. So I am looking at about 28x28" for X
& Y and I am still up in the air as to Z stroke. I was thinkg
somewhere around 6-10". I want to be able to do flat work and also put
a 4th rotary axis on the table to mill round pieces. Kind of a
universaly capable machine. I have a great scrap pile that I have been
able to salvage some pretty sweet motion items from. My table is a
3x3" X .25" wall tube frame. It was made for something else but I am
able to work with it. I weighs in around 300+ lbs. It was to much for
me to lift up onto the trailer so I just rolled it on.

I have a question about the ball screw. Do you, or have you seen one,
that preloads the screw itself in slight tension to get better frame
stiffness? There are many things to consider like thermal growth and
shrink but I have a very easy way(self adjusting) to do this and was
thinking to stiffen up the frame I would do this. It does put a small
load on the screw bearings and more drag for the motor to overcome but
I think it would give much tighter machine dynamics. I have been
looking around the web at many different designs for about the last 8
years and I definately know what to stay away from for the accuracy
and strength of machine I am looking to build. It wont be a plywood
and round rod guide machine. ;-)

For fun I have built a egg plotter that uses 2 steppers kind of
arranged like a lathe. One stepper with a rubber cup on it holds a egg
with a spring loaded rubber cup on the other end. The second motor
sits at 90° to the first and has a arm to hold a pen or pencil. It was
a fun little project and produced some cool Easter eggs. The only
problem I had was the IMS drivers I had were full/half step only so my
resolution with the pencil looked a little rough. I am hoping to use
the 10 micro step Geckos to see how much better it can look.

Thanks a bunch! Great info.

Scott

Discussion Thread

Scott Riddle 2005-08-12 11:48:27 UTC Max stepper motor speed - rpm JanRwl@A... 2005-08-12 13:54:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Max stepper motor speed - rpm Scott Riddle 2005-08-12 14:50:04 UTC Re: Max stepper motor speed - rpm caudlet 2005-08-12 15:23:23 UTC Re: Max stepper motor speed - rpm John Johnson 2005-08-12 16:54:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Max stepper motor speed - rpm Jon Elson 2005-08-12 20:54:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Max stepper motor speed - rpm Scott Riddle 2005-08-12 22:16:48 UTC Re: Max stepper motor speed - rpm Scott Riddle 2005-08-12 22:40:40 UTC Re: Max stepper motor speed - rpm Scott Riddle 2005-08-12 22:51:10 UTC Re: Max stepper motor speed - rpm caudlet 2005-08-13 08:06:22 UTC Re: Max stepper motor speed - rpm turbulatordude 2005-08-13 09:15:42 UTC Re: Max stepper motor speed - rpm