CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re:Need help Ballscrews

on 2000-06-24 02:53:11 UTC
I second what Darrell and Jon have written.
I am UK based as things are probably a little different here. At the moment
our Government is making serious efforts to help small firms move on. One
is a 40 percent tax allowance in the first year and tax write off of Hi
tech machines over a three year period as opposed to the old seven.
This has flooded the market with S/H CNC's
Recent auctions had come up with things like a Matchmaker Mill, like a BP
but 10 x 54 with Heidenhain controller, 24 tool changer, actually show
running at the auction [ first time I have seen this ] Sold for 1900 UKP
about $3,000
Same auction saw two CNC lathes, didn't notice makes but these went for
1800 and 2000 UKP each, again both working.

Jon see note in middle of your reply below.

>Darrell wrote:
>>
>> My experience has been that a manual knee mill is worth more as a
>> manual than it is after it has been converted. Look for a NC/CNC mill
>> with a bad control (there are lots out there) and sell the manual.
>
>Like I just did. Millport with ballscrews, auto lube, auto spindle
>brake, #30 taper, $2500. It's up and running on my Ahha software and
>Compumotor amps already. It'll interpolate a hole round enough I'd have
>to get serious with inspection to measure the deviation. Can't ask for
>more from a 20 year old machine.
>The hard part is the wiring, I've bypassed everything including limit
>switches to get some work out the door (besides, it's original control
>didn't differentiate between +/- limits, any switch just shut the whole
>think down, need to separate them). Need to get spindle start/stop going
>under software control with brake interlocked properly, and a manual
>spindle start and manual brake override. For an electronics weenie, this
>is hairy stuff.... However, I can work on the controls on the side, and
>finish off the integration when everything works right.

Jon
I run a Beaver mill, like a BP and Matchmaker 10 x 54, with Ahha control.
EVERTHING is controlled by the Ahha controller,
Speed, clutches, air clamps, coolant and brake.
Contact off list for more info. Most of this is done by macros and a
modified Mcdmap.agc file.
You are welcome to copies of this.

--

Regards,