CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: Re: Bridgeport Series I verse Series II CNC Refit Candidates

on 2005-11-04 16:39:25 UTC
> I have heard good things about API drives with BP motors.
>
> Les
>
> turbulatordude wrote:
>
> >Assuming you want to keep the origional steppers, what choices are
> >there for drivers those motors chew up Geckos ?
> >
> >Dave

Sorry got to disagree with Les on this one.
I have recently done a Beaver conversion from the original 20 year old drivers and fitted API 260's
The only way I could get these to run without losing steps was in series mode and drop the travels right down.
Even that didn't stop these faulting out though.

I also tried an early Gecko 210 but that still lost steps.
Then tried the later Gecko with the 42 jumper and it ran fine.
Now using original type 42 motors, 59 volt power supply, 7 amp output into parallel wound motors.
No more lost steps and running at 130 in/ min. I know this as I timed it last week for someone else.

All drives fitted on large heat sink with 2 6" fans blowing over them.
I can do an 8 hour day, full production and have no problems, lost steps and the drives are stone cold at the end of the day

This e-mail was scanned for viruses using BitDefender

Discussion Thread

John Stevenson 2005-11-04 16:39:25 UTC Re: Re: Re: Bridgeport Series I verse Series II CNC Refit Candidates John Stevenson 2005-11-05 18:39:48 UTC Re: Re: Re: Bridgeport Series I verse Series II CNC Refit Candidates John Stevenson 2005-11-06 04:02:53 UTC Re: Re: Re: Bridgeport Series I verse Series II CNC Refit Candidates