CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Which Software

kiwiavi wrote:

>I would like to do a survey of what people are using. Should I get
>enough replies, I will tabulate the results and post on the Files Page.

I have Bobcad/CAM V16.1 (not the current version)

I'd give it a 4, I think, overall.

It is juat a bit cumbersome to do odd 3-d parts, but great for mostly
2-D and 2.5 D parts. On the other hand, i have my own programs that
write the G-code for rectangular pockets, round pockets, hole circles and
grids of holes, thread milling and CNC tapping. I use that for almost every
operation, and rarely use the CAD, because it is slower. Maybe that
reflects
badly on Bobcad.

It is pretty easy to do 2-D on it, most people could do their first drawing
in 30 minutes.

I am not an expert, but I think I know how to do most anything on it.

I have only found 2 things it had trouble with. I wanted to wrap an o-ring
groove onto the side of a cylinder. I was unable to find any way to do
this. It
probably is really a 4-axis job, anyway. I also had another 3-d surface, a
half-round "hump" that angled down onto a plane. It didn't quite handle the
merge at the junction of the two surfaces correctly. But, it showed clearly
in the "skin" or surface path generation what it was going to do.

No major faults.

About $250 each for 2 seats. That was probably 1998 or so.

I have the "3-d" mill version, but I think it will do lathe work, too.
This is CAD and CAM only, not CNC motion control.

kiwiavi 2005-11-12 17:22:16 UTC Which Software Ron Kline 2005-11-12 19:35:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Which Software Jon Elson 2005-11-12 19:58:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Which Software turbulatordude 2005-11-12 20:00:19 UTC Re: Which Software R Rogers 2005-11-12 21:49:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Which Software shadi_salhab_78 2005-11-13 13:20:58 UTC Re: Which Software