CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: parallel port not working with emc?

Posted by pearcedang
on 2005-11-15 21:31:33 UTC
I was hoping for a .ini mod. I found this old post (message # 73009):

> From: Peter Linss <plinss@...>
> Date: Wed Jun 2, 2004 5:19 pm
> Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC Parallel port config, please help
>
> Someone recently submitted a patch to EMC that adds configuration of
> the parallel port pins via the .ini file. Expect to see it soon.

But I can't find any evidence of this in the EMC docs.

For now, the hardware route will get me going. Digikey has a small
non-solder breakout box that looks like a db-25 adapter with a coulpe
of rows of holes in it (item no AE1040-ND) for about the price of a
new cable. Thanks for the comments on which pins (18-25) to connect
the enables to set them lo. I'll let you know how it works when it
arrives.
Dan

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "mpictor" <mpictor@y...> wrote:

> RadioShack DID have a small breakout board that would do this for
> you; I don't know if they still carry it. You could also try
> DigiKey. It would be a lot easier than chopping a cable up,
> figuring out which wire is which, and trying to solder to a new
> connector... it was DB25M to DB25F, so you just plug it in and go.
>
> Mark
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Irby Jones" <irbyrat@c...>
> wrote:
> >

> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "pearcedang"
> <pearcedang@y...> wrote:
> > >
> > > Can EMC redefine the assignments of pins 14,16,17?
> > >
> > > The current pin assignments are as Irby indicated for both the
> > > stepperworld FET-3 board 14,16,17 as x,y and z enables) and for
> EMC
> > > (using Freqmod according to the EMC manual 14, 16,17 are
> unfortunately
> > > assigned to B step, C dir, C step repsectively).

> > Hi,
> >
> > As far as redefining EMC pin assignments, a lot of programmers out
> there could do that for EMC and recompile the program for you, if
> some later version EMC can't do it outright. But I would consider
> making up an "adapter" cable between the parallel port cable and the
> FET-3 board. One thing I've noticed in playing around with different
> programs is that the parallel port pin assignments can vary, and
> an "adapter" cable is pretty simple way to make most any program
> work with a given controller board.
> >
> > There are several ways you could go, but one way would be to make
> up a short cable and connectors to fit between your parallel port
> cable and the FET-3 board. Run pins 2-7 straight through. If you
> don't mind having the motors enabled all the time, connect pins 14,
> 16, and 17 to any pin from 18-25 at the "FET-3" connector and leave
> pins 14, 16, and 17 unconnected at the "parallel port cable"
> connector. Pins 18-25 are grounds and FET-3 enable is active LO, so
> this enables the motors all the time. Optionally, you could put a
> switch between pins 14, 16, and 17 and ground to allow you to
> switch "enable" on and off. I don't know offhand if the "enable"
> lines on the FET-3 board are pulled HI on the board, and the simple
> switch may not work unless they are.
> >
> > As far as hooking up limit switches, home switches, etc. I don't
> know how the FET-3 board handles these, so I can't say what to do
> with these signals. EMC uses only one pin, 12, for a "home"
> indication on any of the axes. It uses pin 15 for a "positive"
> motion direction limit indication on any of the axes, and pin 13 for
> a "negative" motion direction limit indication on any of the axes.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> > Irby

Discussion Thread

pearcedang 2005-11-10 11:18:57 UTC parallel port not working with emc? Irby Jones 2005-11-11 15:35:04 UTC Re: parallel port not working with emc? pearcedang 2005-11-15 06:11:17 UTC Re: parallel port not working with emc? Irby Jones 2005-11-15 13:35:51 UTC Re: parallel port not working with emc? mpictor 2005-11-15 16:46:45 UTC Re: parallel port not working with emc? pearcedang 2005-11-15 21:31:33 UTC Re: parallel port not working with emc? Stephen Wille Padnos 2005-11-16 08:27:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: parallel port not working with emc? yet_another_kent 2005-11-16 15:44:07 UTC Re: parallel port not working with emc?