CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bench top CNC mills

Posted by Dave Shiels
on 2005-11-28 07:58:21 UTC
Jim I am a former tool and die maker from Michigan as well and went
through the same quest you are now on. I ended up with a Taig CNC off
eBay. I could have done it a bit cheaper than the $1500 I spent if I did
more DIY but I am pretty satisfied with the quality and performance of
the Taig. I actually went to the maxNC sales office and was unimpressed
with that one. I did see a sherline also and though it just to light
duty. Granted a Taig is no Bridgeport, and is not as heavy duty as the
Chinese products, but it is substantial and is American made and is of
much higher quality than those Chinese offerings. Most of the Chinese
stuff needs a complete refurbish upon receipt, up to and including a
re-scrape. Additionally the fit and finish on the Chinese screws will
make you want to replace them with ballscrews, while adding the CNC
components will run you as much as the base price of the Chinese mill.
The Taig screws are adequate and can be adjusted to minimal backlash.

Just my 2 cents worth.