CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 543

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 2000-06-27 10:12:17 UTC
Message: 24
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 20:42:30 -0000
From: nky@...
Subject: VectorCam

Is anyone in the group working with VectorCam?

I have used the sherline manual lathe and mills extensively for
jewelery modeling and want to move to CNC. (I'll be using a
MicroKinetics 4 axis mill)

The only software I've played with so far has been BobCad.

They were kind enough to send me a demo. Shortly after that, I
started receiving invoices for about $700, and they were calling
daily and demanding that I PAY them for the software. They
claimed that I had ordered the full version, faxed them a copy of a
check, then never sent the check.

Only problem was, that was a complete lie, and everytime I
asked for a copy of the supposed fax, I got the run around. I
finally threatened to sue them if I got one more phonecall, and
reported them to the BBB. Haven't heard from them since.

[Am I just paranoid, or are computer billing programs starting to make more
of these "mistakes" lately? Curiously, they are never in my favor. My
credit card company, for instance, keeps slipping in these "finance
charges" every month which I don't actually owe- they are courteous enough
to remove them when I point them out, but doubtless most people simply pay.
Others add "late charges" for payments actually made in advance of
receiving the service in question. It seems like some sharp programmers are
on the job here...]

Needless to say, I am looking for alternatives and have heard
mention of Vector Cam. I have no CAD experience but am
extremely computer literate.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

NKY

[Ask Fred Smith about vectorcam- he's got an excellent reputation around
here (even if he does sell BobCad), and I'm sure he will give you the
straight story on it. He's at www.imsrv.com (or e-mail imserv@...).
Another combination of programs you might check out is Rhino and DeskProto
(which I sell). Many people are starting to use these to produce jewelry on
a mini-mill. Rhino is a very powerful 3d modeling program for its price,
and DeskProto imports parts from Rhino and converts them to G-code
toolpaths. It also allows you to index the 4th axis of your mill and
superimpose multiple passes to achieve a full-round part. Both Rhino and
DeskProto offer free functional downloads, so you can try before you buy
(for free- no invoice will follow, I promise).]

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com

Andrew Werby - United Artworks
Sculpture, Jewelry, and Other Art Stuff
http://unitedartworks.com

Discussion Thread

Andrew Werby 2000-06-27 10:12:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 543