CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

ELS Project - E-LeadScrew

Posted by Vaso
on 2005-12-07 18:25:07 UTC
I see this idea for electronicaly synchronizing spindle and lead screw
speeds has spilled over into several Yahoo Groups. There a "vigorous
debate" in the ShumaTech group.

I'm the certain "borpe2001" (aka Vaso) referred to in Shumatech. I set
up E-Leadscrew (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/E-LeadScrew/) to see if
it would be possible to develop an "Open Source" Electronic Lead Screw
design that could be adapted to hobby-scale lathes. The purpose for
ELS would be to eliminate the need for mechanical gears for threading
and saddle traverse. Since an electronics "black box" could in theory
fix any ratio between spindle speed and leadscrew speed, any standard
or non-standard thread or traverse speed could be accommodated. A few
more tricks could be arranged, but this is certainly not CNC - not
even "one-axis" CNC.

I've been corresponding with Fritz Linck - who wrote the original
article on ELS control by PLL (Phase Locked Loop). He has revised his
article, and I have placed the new file in E-LeadScrew. (I couldn't
place it in CAD_CAM_EDM-DRO).

Interested people are invited to join E-LeadScrew. I'm particularly
eager to find:

*Control Systems Engineers to make sure the feedback loop is optimized
and unconditionally stable

*Mechanical Engineers to work on motor selection and deal with
torque/gearing/friction issues

*Firmware wizards - because the "black box" will probably be
microprocessor based and will require interface to an LCD/LED panel
(like the ShumaTech DRO...)

*Home Machinists to design brackets, mechanical assembly, etc, and
volunteer their lathes for prototype trials.

My own background is that I'm an Electronics Engineer, but I haven't
done "real" design in many years.

-Vaso

---<cba_mel@b...> wrote:
> Mark, this is Fritz Linck's prototype design. It, along with the
> Frog which was a different commercial approach for the smaller
> lathes, are the basis of our discussions.
>
> A certain "borpe2001" has just set up a new Yahoo group dealing with
> the subject, showing that the idea is suddenly getting broader
> attention: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/E-LeadScrew/
>
> Certainly, the more people get actively interested, the greater the
> chances that something real good comes out at the end. Chris

Discussion Thread

Vaso 2005-12-07 18:25:07 UTC ELS Project - E-LeadScrew