CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 545

Posted by Ray Henry
on 2000-06-27 18:53:27 UTC
>Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 09:41:34 -0400
> From: Steve Gunsel <gunsel@...>
>Subject: Re: Re: Re: Throwing cold water!

<snipped>

>Dave Land (Anderson) burned a CDROM with RedHat 5.2 and Tim's script and
associated
>RTLinux, emc etc. I loading his 5.2 version and it seemed to go well,
>better than my previous attempts. For the first time, I could boot from
>the hard disk, and xwindows started right up too.

I have the original RH 5.2 and Tim's script still running. I never tried
to update the xwindows system. I was so overjoyed that I could make emc
run my steppers that I never messed with it at all. IMO this is the place
to stop with Linux for the moment.

Once Tim's install is done. Run the Frank Zappa example to be sure that
you've got real time and you should be ready for the EMC

>But so far it looks pretty good.

For steppers I'd pick up the latest 2.0.36 release of EMC and:

mkdir /usr/local/nist
cp emc-07-Jun-2000.tgz /usr/local/nist
cd /usr/local/nist
tar xzvf emc-07-Jun-2000.tgz
./install

And see if you don't get a runnable version. There are some things in the
ini file that make the sim.run trip up but you can go to the ini config
page in the handbook and copy what I did for a stepper motor driven
minimill. This should get signals to the parallel port.

At this point you might want to download the

Once you have a running EMC and can see it work for you, then you can begin
to play with other versions of linux and other versions of EMC

Ray

Discussion Thread

Ray Henry 2000-06-27 18:53:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 545