CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CNC Router belt drive

Posted by Seiman H
on 2006-01-03 12:10:03 UTC
Hi Wayne,

It depends on the size of CNC, belt drive will never be like screw and as much the CNC is larger as much as the torque and precision is lower, belt is ideal for small mill like 10x12 inch.

if you need a plan I can provide one where you can build your 4x8 CNC for only 4500USD with high features.

Regads,

Seiman

caudlet <thom@...> wrote:
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "wgaybba" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm planning on building a cnc router. Instead of having expensive
> screw drives, could I use a timing belt drive for the three axis. How
> will this drive compare to a screw? Can a belt drive lock like a screw?
>
> Thanks
> Wayne

There have been a lot of tables built with belt drives. You have a
choice of a continuous belt with a drive motor on one end and an idler
pulley on the other or an open piece of belt attached at the ends with
the motor on the gantry and the belt looped/around (>180 deg warp)
with idler bearings keeping tension and the wrap (kinda like a 16mm
projector mechanism (:-))

The belt drive of either style will not "lock" if the motors are not
under power. This can be an advantage as well as a disadvantage. For
static loads (horz) it affords a way for you to manually move the load
if it's ever required. If power is applied to the motors (stepper or
servo) the drive electronics will "lock" the motor and the load.

leadscrew drives work on short or loaded (verticle) loads. It's not
unusual to see a screw drive Z and rack & pinion or toothed belt drive
X & Y.

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@... [Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto: aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it if you have trouble.

NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
bill
List Mom
List Owner

Yahoo! Groups Links