CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Does a VFD do the trick?

Posted by juan gelt
on 2006-01-06 08:17:07 UTC
my experience is with nema 23 size steppers.
they do not offer much resistance when power is off.
and there is no way they can harm my drivers- they can
not generate any voltage worse than what happens when
they are stepped by the controller - and that's all
snubbed for protection anyway.
they certainly can't generate significant current
unless i put an electric drill on the crank to spin em
up.
desktop machines i know almost always have hand
cranks on the steppers. straight from the factory they
come this way.
i don't really understand any way they could hurt by
hand cranking them.
if i'm the slightest bit wrong, please, somebody,
flame my ass bigtime and fast!

--- Familia Peter Arce & TAD <peteryco@...>
wrote:

> The 2 motors are inside the machine linked with belt
> or gear.
> But when I have a stepper I still have a force to
> overcome cranking it
> when the current is switched of. And as I understand
> if I crank a
> switched off stepper it generates current that might
> kill the driver
> (lets say a Gecko).
> Right?
> Sven Peter

=== message truncated ===

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com

Discussion Thread

Familia Peter Arce & TAD 2006-01-06 07:08:35 UTC Does a VFD do the trick? juan gelt 2006-01-06 07:15:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Does a VFD do the trick? Familia Peter Arce & TAD 2006-01-06 07:39:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Does a VFD do the trick? Les Newell 2006-01-06 07:57:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Does a VFD do the trick? Familia Peter Arce & TAD 2006-01-06 08:09:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Does a VFD do the trick? juan gelt 2006-01-06 08:17:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Does a VFD do the trick?