CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Safe Spindle Control

Posted by Larry Olson
on 2006-01-17 20:03:27 UTC
Take a look at the BP series II spindle inhibit circuit.

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Clark [mailto:mail@...]
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 6:56 PM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Safe Spindle Control

> A lot depends on your faith in electronic devices. etc...

> there is a power supply running through your step/direction
>controller (steppers) and a power cord leading to your spindle. tie
>those power lines to a big mushroom emergency switch mounted
>somewhere conviente on your table. this will allow the computer
>systems and peripherials to initialize and talk to each other without
>allowing the power to make it to the buisness end (motors and cutting
>tools).

This is something I have worried about ever since I rebuilt my CNC
Bridgeport. Each time I change a tool, I wonder if the spindle could
somehow start up. Is this really a possibility? The tool change is
usually done during an M6 command and the computer is waiting for
cycle start button to be pushed.

Where would the best place be to place a switch to disable the spindle
motor? I assume it would be on the 3 legs of the 3phase power as it
comes into the motor? There would have to be a second switch for the
AC 110 that would disable the power to the DC powersupply that runs
the stepper motors too. I imagine opening the normally closed switch
during a tool change, then closing it before proceeding. Would I have
to have 2 separate switches or is there a way to use just one?

Thanks guys for bringing this up!

Keith Clark

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

timg@...
Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@...
[Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it
if you have trouble.

sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there,
for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING THEM.
bill
List Mom
List Owner

Yahoo! Groups Links

Discussion Thread

Jymmm 2006-01-17 09:43:39 UTC Safe Spindle Control David Speck 2006-01-17 10:47:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Safe Spindle Control b Johnson 2006-01-17 12:57:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Safe Spindle Control Keith Clark 2006-01-17 18:56:24 UTC Re: Safe Spindle Control Larry Olson 2006-01-17 20:03:27 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Safe Spindle Control Jymmm 2006-01-18 10:36:18 UTC Re: Safe Spindle Control Jeff Goldberg 2006-01-18 11:08:29 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Safe Spindle Control Stephen Wille Padnos 2006-01-18 11:30:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Safe Spindle Control wanliker@a... 2006-01-18 13:29:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Safe Spindle Control