CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Stepper Motor Power Calculations

Posted by Phil Mattison
on 2006-01-24 09:10:47 UTC
Nice tutorial. So this pretty much gets to the bottom of what this was about
to begin with. Torque decreases with speed due to inductive reactance and
iron losses. Torque could be maintained theoretically by increasing voltage
proportional to speed, but that produces diminishing returns because power
output increases linearly with voltage while iron losses increase
exponentially. So there is a point at which iron losses exceed power gains
and any further voltage increase is dissipated as heat.

Since chopper-type current regulators are designed to maintain a constant
current through the coils they will do this as speed increases up to the
point where the supply voltage becomes the limitation. Since friction of
lead screws and other mechanical stuff increases with speed, you really need
more power, not less, as speed increases. So I guess the bottom line is that
it makes sense to use a power supply as near as possible to the limit of the
motor controller's electronics to give it as much head-room as possible.
Beyond that there's not much you can do besides reducing power when idle to
minimize unnecessary heat accumulation, and tweaking your speed to run as
fast as possible without stalling.

--Phil M.