CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Setting Lathe or Mill Gibs

on 2006-02-27 21:13:47 UTC
gib adj that has worked well for me without using any gauges is
tighten until snug then back off 1/8 turn which works on most
machines.

Harko

On 2/27/06, BobWarfield <bob@...> wrote:
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@...> wrote:
> >
> > kiwiavi wrote:
> >
> > >Hi Is there a more scientific way to set gibs other than "when it
> > >slides freely"
> > >

> Here are two more "scientific" ways of adjusting your gibs that I
> have come across in my travels. I have not tried either, but the
> sources were good. Your mileage may vary.
>
> CNC Adjustment
> ===============
>
> CNC machines make gib adjustment a little more difficult. Without
> handwheels, you can't really feel how tight they are. Commercial
> CNC machines make the adjustment by measurement how much amperage is
> drawn by the motor during traversal. One account I read indicated
> it should be about 30% to 50% of the maximum rated amperage for the
> motor.
>
> Bridgeport Factory Adjustment
> =============================
>
> This is supposedly the factory procedure used by Bridgeport to set
> the gibs. Use a 0.0001 reading indicator and measure the slop in
> the slide. Example: For the X axis, place the mag base on the end of
> the saddle and put the stylus on the table. At that end of the table
> push and release. Then pull and release. The differance is the
> amount of clearance in the slide. Repeat at the other end of the
> saddle. Adjust gib in a like new machine with little wear to give a
> reading of 0.0005. A machine with more wear will have to be checked
> with the table closer to the end of travel. The same procedure is
> used to set the saddle to knee gib. There must be some clearance for
> the oil film and that film also helps dampen vibration. On a machine
> with hardened and ground box ways and turcite on the moving member
> the procedure is to set the clearance to almost nil. 0.0001 is a
> good number.
>
> For a mill that isn't as well made or in as good condition as a new
> Bridgeport being adjusted by the factory, its hard to say.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> BW

> timg@...
> Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@...
> [Moderators]
>
> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it if
> you have trouble.

> sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there, for OT
> subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

> DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> bill
> List Mom
> List Owner
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Discussion Thread

Jon Elson 2006-02-25 12:35:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Setting Lathe or Mill Gibs Jon Elson 2006-02-26 11:14:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Setting Lathe or Mill Gibs cncgramps 2006-02-26 12:10:53 UTC Re: Setting Lathe or Mill Gibs Wayne Weedon 2006-02-26 15:01:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Setting Lathe or Mill Gibs Jon Elson 2006-02-26 20:51:31 UTC Bridgeport BOSS drawings Wayne Weedon 2006-02-27 03:10:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bridgeport BOSS drawings Jon Elson 2006-02-27 09:12:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bridgeport BOSS drawings BobWarfield 2006-02-27 14:23:35 UTC Re: Setting Lathe or Mill Gibs Harko Schwartz 2006-02-27 21:13:47 UTC Re: Setting Lathe or Mill Gibs