CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Should I replace my encoders??

Posted by Les Newell
on 2006-03-05 01:55:41 UTC
125 line sounds a bit low. I am using 200 line encoders on my Bridgeport
and I could do with a bit higher resolution. It could be that the
encoders are sinusoidal in which case the control uses special
electronics to increase the resolution. Sinusoidal encoders won't work
with Gecko or Rutex drives. Some motors have the encoder built into the
housing, some have the encoder as s separate unit bolted on the back
with a cover over it. To find out you need to take the back off the
motor and have a look. If you replace the encoder I think somewhere
round 500 line would be good. With brush motors there aren't any phase
alignment issues.

Les

oldpayphones wrote:
> Hello,
> I just acquired 3 SEM 30lb DC brush servos to replace the steppers on
> my Series 2 Bridgeport. The servos have Heidenhein ERO 115 encoders
> installed and from what I've read they are 125 line. So I guess my
> question is should I replace them with a higher resolution encoder or
> will they be OK. The servos are 2500 RPM and there is a 2 to 1 belt
> reduction to the ballscrew. I haven't decided on a controller yet but
> I'm leaning towards MACH and Rutex. If I do need to change them how
> much trouble is it going to be and do I have to do some kind of phase
> alignment? Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> larry@...

Discussion Thread

oldpayphones 2006-03-04 23:15:50 UTC Should I replace my encoders?? Les Newell 2006-03-05 01:55:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Should I replace my encoders?? Patrick J 2006-03-05 03:26:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Should I replace my encoders?? Larry Olson 2006-03-05 21:11:41 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Should I replace my encoders?? Vince Endter 2006-03-06 20:04:03 UTC Re: Should I replace my encoders??