CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] DOUBTS WITH STEPPERS MOTORS VELOCITY/PERFOMANCE

Posted by John Dammeyer
on 2006-03-16 11:17:18 UTC
I'd suggest that you download the demo copy of MACH2 or MACH3 and play with
the motor tuning section. I can make my 2000 micro step per rev Size23
motors run at 25kHz with both MACH2 and my ELS.

What I've read about steppers and the dynamics of the motors is that
anything more than about 8 to 10 micro steps per step is largely ineffective
for getting rid of any other harmonics or oscillations. It's one of those,
just because you can doesn't mean you should.

If your drive is set to do 25600 steps per rev and the output from the PC is
25kHz you will see one rev per second or 60 RPM which is pretty slow.

Another point (I have scope pictures around somewhere) is that if the motors
you are using have a fairly high inductance you may also find the maximum
speed limited with only 48 Volts. I have some older surplus motors that I
initially played with and at higher stepping rates the current never even
came close to maximum due to the inductance.

John Dammeyer

Wireless CAN with the CANRF module now available.
http://www.autoartisans.com/products
Automation Artisans Inc.
Ph. 1 250 544 4950

Discussion Thread

Marcos Leandro gonzalez Brughetti 2006-03-16 08:09:55 UTC DOUBTS WITH STEPPERS MOTORS VELOCITY/PERFOMANCE Jeff Goldberg 2006-03-16 08:33:10 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] DOUBTS WITH STEPPERS MOTORS VELOCITY/PERFOMANCE John Dammeyer 2006-03-16 11:17:18 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] DOUBTS WITH STEPPERS MOTORS VELOCITY/PERFOMANCE