CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] New Machine specs

Posted by Dan Mauch
on 2006-03-22 16:28:28 UTC
There are various bench type machines. Can you be more specific as to the
size you want.? The Sieg X3 and the Rong Fu's are generally accepted as
being the best.
First I would double check the accuracy of the existing leadscrews. The one
that I retrotfitted had .001 per inch leadscrew pitch error. In 10 inches
it was .010 short after backalsh compsnsation was taked into account. The
backlash of most mill drill seems to be about .010 minimum and more liskely
.020. on the XY axis. The quills come standard with .020 vertical play.
I would receommend that you consisder ballscrews for the XY axis.
See jeff Davis's web site at http://www.homecnc.info/cnc-main.html for plans
for a full size mill drill retrofit for ballscrews. see my web site at
www.camtronics-cnc.com for stepper motors and servo motor conversion
kit's/assembled units.
Myself, I modified my Z axis axis mill drill by solving the intrincis design
problem that causes the standard .020 backlash. My retrofitted mill/drill
has only .002 vertical lash in the quill and retains the existing fine feed
mechanism. If you want let me know if you want the information on how to
solve the mill/drill quill backlash problem and I will email you the
instructions. Bascially it deals with the fact that the pinion shaft bores
in the power head are bored such that the pinion doesn't engage the rack
properly. My fix makes a couple excentric bushings that moves the pinion
shaft in closer to the rack on the quill.
See my web site for kits usings the gecko stepper and servo systems and for
assembled and tested units. Jeff Davis's approach is to use a ballscrew for
the Z axis

Dan Mauch
low cost stepper and servo motors.
cases for Gecko drives