CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: Lathe solid model to G code

on 2006-03-26 04:11:59 UTC
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "John Stevenson" <john@...>
> wrote:
> > Why do you have to piss about changing things?
>
> Oh sorry, I have this habit I developed in 1987 when I helped a
> machine shop transition from manual to CNC. There was only one
> under $1000 Cad-cam and was quite limited (Ok, it sucked). I made
> it better and then moved on to Vector and DeskCNC where my efforts
> are appreciated and rewarded with supportable and usable software
> and enhancements.
>
> > When you select lathe it should be set up for lathe.
> > Bottom line it's either a lathe program or two axis mill.
>
> Dear Mr. Stevenson, Bottom line Vector Cad-Cam is a VERY powerful
> integrated, 3D cad and cam system. It's not the simple 2D cam
> program that you seem to want it to be. 3d-cad-cam-integrated, get
> it?
>
> It is used commercially and profitably for lathe, 2 1/2 axis mill,
> 3D mill, 2 or 4 axis wire edm and foam cutting, sheet work machines
> such as routers, plasma, laser, water jet, and engraving, and rotary
> axis machines such as rotary tables, articulated spindles, and
> rotational tubing plasma and torch piercing.
>
> Vector has 3D surface modeling, and can store the entire process for
> multiple jobs and parts and all the associated CNC programs, within
> one drawing. It's an integrated package that permits you to plan
> and process jobs with multiple machines and multiple workholding
> steps with the same CNC machine. It has reorderable job process
> steps and can modify many parameters within job steps. For example
> drilling feed, speed, depth and peck depths can be directly
> addressed and the toolpath is immediately updated onscreen. Active
> job steps can be simulated in 3D within the Vector integrated cad
> and cam program.
>
> It has a CNC program text editor function with renumber, find an
> replace, text string coloring, text substitution, printing and also
> backplotting and rs-232 file transmission, and includes post
> processors for not only most flavors of rs274-D g-code, but also non-
> standard things like Shopbot, Heidenhain and Agie. Other
> capabilities include heads up digitizing of image files, arc fitting
> of complex splines, reorganization of drawing geometry to eliminate
> duplicated entities re-combine broken lines and arcs, and shorten
> total machine motion, traveling salesman solution for drill
> patterns, point to curve routines, ordered and random point cloud to
> nurbs surface routines, and drawing and NC key/command scripting for
> process automation.
>
> The lathe functions permit turning "behind" ( like a trailer hitch
> ball) without heeling the tool, there is a right-hand tool, left-
> hand tool clearing routine and groove tool roughing and profiling
> support. Vector has CAD routines to draw under cuts for threading
> and shoulder grinding. The Vector turning routines permit tool
> [...]

Nice advert Fred.
Pity you couldn't put as much effort into the documentation as the sales.
Then ask yourself why are you the only one answering questions on support?
Other programs and controllers get the same questions asked but more often then not other users answer the bulk of the questions.
Mainly because they can follow the program / controller but this never happens with Vector or DeskCNC.

Here's an example, on the DeskCNC forum there is a post called G83 where Gary Davidson asked for help with G83.
You reply to see another thread that tells him to use the Q parameter instaed of I.
Garys reply is "Did not know about the Q... My book only show R I # for G83 parameters. I'll try it "

If you look in the documentation for DeskCNC does it explain the parameters for G83 ?
No, Nilch, nad, zero so how are people expected to know if you keep everything close to your chest??

Reminds me of a tale, here in the UK many years ago a guy called Wal Phillips brought a new racing bike carburettor out called the Wal Phillips fuel injector.
When these were setup right they really flew but they were so pedantic no one could get them running correctly.
A friend of mine confided one day thay he'd sorted the problem out with a special tool, when I sked what it was he said "It's a screwdriver shaped like Wal Phillips!!"

So if you buy Vector or DeskCNC you need a book shaped like Fred Smith <g>

John S.

This e-mail was scanned for viruses using BitDefender

Discussion Thread

John Stevenson 2006-03-25 04:02:45 UTC Re: Re: Lathe solid model to G code John Stevenson 2006-03-26 04:11:59 UTC Re: Re: Lathe solid model to G code John Stevenson 2006-03-26 08:01:58 UTC Re: Re: Lathe solid model to G code John Stevenson 2006-03-26 11:39:34 UTC Re: Re: Lathe solid model to G code John Stevenson 2006-03-26 15:01:03 UTC Re: Re: Lathe solid model to G code John Stevenson 2006-03-27 08:38:02 UTC Re: Re: Lathe solid model to G code