CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EDM wire tensioning

on 2006-04-06 16:43:39 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Kelly" <tech@...> wrote:

> A micro generating a PWM signal for your winder motor based on some
input
> would be easy (if you're a micro kind of electronics guy) it'd save
you half
> a bridge. Philips make some good power op amps, up to about 25W I think.
> As for sensors. The homebrew options that spring to mind are:
>
> A wedge shaped paddle that moves in front of an LDR, angle of wedge
> determines rate of change of the value of the LDR.
>
> Hall effect, something like a UGN3503 and a weak magnet on the
tensioning
> arm.
>
> I'm told that there are some proxes that have a linear output..
>
> All this is being on the assumption that you cant use a
potentiometer as the
> pivot for the tensioning arm?
>

> Hope that helps
>
> PK

I would consider using a uP especially if I wanted to put a speed
control on the feed roller as well. As it happens I'll probably not
go down that route as it just isn't needed.

I would use only half a bridge anyway, I don't want the spool to take
up the slack only pay out the wire, otherwise I'll have problems with
backlash causing tension variation.

Thanks for the ideas, a pot could be used for sure but I tend to find
that I come up with a solution and then tell people about it only to
be told a much better way.

I quite like none contact solutions anyway.

Graham

Discussion Thread

Graham Stabler 2006-04-06 07:03:04 UTC EDM wire tensioning Paul Kelly 2006-04-06 16:04:30 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EDM wire tensioning Graham Stabler 2006-04-06 16:43:39 UTC Re: EDM wire tensioning Roy J. Tellason 2006-04-06 17:22:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EDM wire tensioning Paul Kelly 2006-04-06 19:55:47 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EDM wire tensioning Graham Stabler 2006-04-07 02:27:48 UTC Re: EDM wire tensioning Roy J. Tellason 2006-04-07 12:34:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EDM wire tensioning