CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] NAMES this weekend.

wanliker@... wrote:

>A reminder to those within range, that the NAMES, show is this weekend.
>There will be a lot of CNC machines there showing off there stuff. And all of
>the beautiful models will suggest projects for many. Also a lot of venders
>of all kinds, from CNC machines, software, metals, kits, magazines, the list
>is long. Anyone see Ballendo, take his picture, and send it to
>me................grin
>bill
>
>P.S.Unfortunately plans had to change, and I will not be able to attend this
>year.

Sorry we missed you - it was a good show. There was something for
everybody. A
fair amount of CNC stuff (although not as much as before the 2004 debacle.)
Fred Smith and Steve Stallings were there, too, as well as a couple of
other CNC
vendors I don't know as well. Rick Chownyk was there, but not
exhibiting anything.

The new venue is GOOD! No screaming rush to pull up the floor, no ice
(didn't
bother me in Southgate, but some people got cold feet - literally). The
only problem
was I forgot to put my dolly in the car, so I had to wait a LONG time to
get to
use a cart to unload. Barb and Truman Parkinson ran the vendor checkin MUCH
better than whoever did it in previous years, it all went VERY
smoothly. Free
chairs, too! They just didn't provide that at Southgate at all, you had
to bring your
own. They are continuing to open up the traffic spaces, so it is even
less crowded
that at Southgate, which would make wheelchair and scooter users more able
to roam easily.

I don't think Ballendo was there, but then it would have been a 2000 mi
trek for
him, I think. Knocking 60-100 miles off my trek definitely helped. If
I didn't make
so many mistakes in timing (hit Indianapolis RIGHT at rush hour on Fri.) and
just taking wrong turns, it wouldn't have been a bad drive at all.
Going up was
a breeze except for the rush hour traffic, coming back was a bit long
after spending
8 hours at the show.

They had a couple of fine radial and rotary aircraft engines running
very nicely,
a fabulous turn of the (last) century steam launch - no model, (contrary
to the
M in NAMES) about 20 - 25' long, but not much room inside due to the huge
boiler. I hope my pix (still in the camera) do it justice. I was going
to cut some
wax for demos, but my candle disappeared. I still don't know if some safety
comittee member considered it contraband and confiscated it, or it just
got lost.
So, I did pen doodlings on paper again. Grumble.

There was a guy building a 1/6th scale Duesenberg SJ with incredible detail.
He has 5 years in it so far. Dual overhead cam, 4 valve/cyl straight 8 with
supercharger. All the running gear, brake lines, etc. etc. are there.
Incredible.

wanliker@a... 2006-04-21 11:42:27 UTC NAMES this weekend. wbhinkle@a... 2006-04-21 16:24:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: NAMES this weekend. Robert Campbell 2006-04-21 16:27:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: NAMES this weekend. Fred Smith 2006-04-21 17:36:21 UTC Re: NAMES this weekend. wanliker@a... 2006-04-21 20:15:58 UTC NAMES this weekend. Jon Elson 2006-04-24 06:37:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] NAMES this weekend. Jon Elson 2006-04-24 06:43:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] NAMES this weekend. David A. Frantz 2006-04-24 13:17:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] NAMES this weekend. Fred Smith 2006-04-24 15:30:10 UTC Re: NAMES this weekend.