CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 558

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 2000-07-06 13:00:53 UTC
Message: 19
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 21:39:42 -0400
From: djr@...
Subject: Maxcn 15 or a Sherline + CNC conversion?

Hello,

I am about to purchase my first CNC mill. I have narrowed it down to the
maxnc 15 or a sherline 5400 and the CNC retrofit using the
PIC-SERVO CMC motor controller. Maxnc will be about $3000 and the sherline
setup will be about $2300 (both with a rotary table). Is
the maxnc worth the extra money considering it is a stepper system?

[The MaxNC 15 frame is considerably larger than the Sherline 5400's . The
straight-across comparison would be with the MaxNC 10, which costs less.
MaxNC does offer a "servo" option, which is actually stepper motors with
encoders and a closed-loop feedback system. This is definitely worth
getting, since it increases the top speed from about 12 ipm (using the
straight 145 oz/in steppers) to about 40 ipm, while increasing accuracy as
well. I sell the MaxNC 15 CL (X10" x Y8" x Z9" travels) for $3538 with the
4th axis attachment, or the same closed loop system, with the BSA screws,
on the #10 frame for $2888.]

Am I going to run into problems attempting the PIC-SERVO CNC
conversion... I am worried about software more than anything else?

[I didn't get the feeling this was a simple process either- has anybody
here tried it? ]

I have also considered the Flashcut 5400 stepper system at $2600,
but that price seems pretty high considering the cost of the 5400 mill
itself. The Maxnc website makes mention of BSA zero backlash
lead screws and the sherline does not... will backlash be a problem with
the sherline.

[Backlash can be compensated for in some software, but this requires a
"look-ahead". It's best to eliminate it in the hardware, if possible.]

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com

Andrew Werby - United Artworks
Sculpture, Jewelry, and Other Art Stuff
http://unitedartworks.com

Discussion Thread

Andrew Werby 2000-07-06 13:00:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 558