CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Force through ball screw based on stepper motor torque??

Posted by Peter Reilley
on 2006-05-16 14:52:48 UTC
Chris;

There is another factor that you must figure in, the force
of your pull on the line. That force adds to the motor's
torque and must be subtracted from your reading.

For example, if your reading it 10 pounds and your
hand is pulling 2 pounds then the force from the motor
is 8 pounds. Use the 8 pounds and the pulley diameter
to figure your torque.

Since you already have another scale use it measure the
amount of your pull. Using two scales, if they are accurate,
should give you a good reading.

Pete.

----- Original Message -----
From: "lcdpublishing" <lcdpublishing@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 4:31 PM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Force through ball screw based on stepper
motor torque??

> Hi Dan,
>
> Thanks much for the info. I actually had this type of setup about 2
> years ago - using fishing scales. I bought one, didn't get the
> results I thought I should. So, I went to another store, bought
> another scale and got different results. So, back to another store
> and ended up with a third scale that gave me yet different results.
> So, even though I don't fish, I have 3 fishing scales that each give
> different readings (by several pounds).
>
> This is why I was going to use the "bucket" and weights method - I
> figured that I could get more accuracy that way. If you know of an
> accurate brand of spring scale, that would be great, I will try to
> pick one up before i get back to bench testing and such.
>
> Chris
>

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Mauch" <dmauch@...>
> wrote:
>>
>> Here is a better method for measuring running torque than the
> bucket.
>> Machine a pulley with flanges to about 2.375 OD. Then machine in
> between the
>> flanges down to 2.000" and machiene the bore to fit your motor
> ehich is
>> probably .2495".
>> You should have a hub so you can install a 8/32 set screw to lock
> the pulley
>> to the motor.
>> Install the pulley on the motor that is secured to a base.
> Deadhead one end
>> of a heavy nylon cord ( tie one end to a fixed unmoveable) object
> inline
>> with the pulley. The wrap about 3 turns around the grovoved
> pulley. Attach
>> the free end to a spring scale. Your step motor is probably 200
> steps per
>> rev so run the motor at the equivalent of 10 RPM i.e. 2000 steps
> per minute.
>> Pull on the spring scale this will stop the nylon cord from
> completely
>> slipping ( capstan) until the motor starts missing steps. This is
> your
>> running torque at that RPM. run it at several other speeds
> recording the
>> torque. As long as the cord is slack it will slip as as soon as
> you pull on
>> the spring it will impart a torque of the pull of the spring scale
> times the
>> radius . So a 5lb pull at 1"=5lb in torque which you can then
> convert to oz
>> inches.
>>

>> Dan Mauch
>> low cost stepper and servo motors.
>> cases for Gecko drives
>> kits and assembled 3-4 axis drives
>> www.camtronics-cnc.com
>> www.seanet.com/~dmauch

Discussion Thread

lcdpublishing 2006-05-16 06:14:23 UTC Force through ball screw based on stepper motor torque?? Mariss Freimanis 2006-05-16 06:55:21 UTC Re: Force through ball screw based on stepper motor torque?? lcdpublishing 2006-05-16 07:17:44 UTC Re: Force through ball screw based on stepper motor torque?? Mariss Freimanis 2006-05-16 08:01:11 UTC Re: Force through ball screw based on stepper motor torque?? lcdpublishing 2006-05-16 08:07:36 UTC Re: Force through ball screw based on stepper motor torque?? John Dammeyer 2006-05-16 10:46:47 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Force through ball screw based on stepper motor torque?? Mike Richards 2006-05-16 12:32:35 UTC Re: Force through ball screw based on stepper motor torque?? Dan Mauch 2006-05-16 12:33:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Force through ball screw based on stepper motor torque?? lcdpublishing 2006-05-16 12:56:23 UTC Re: Force through ball screw based on stepper motor torque?? ballendo 2006-05-16 13:06:39 UTC Re: Force through ball screw based on stepper motor torque?? Dan Mauch 2006-05-16 13:15:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Force through ball screw based on stepper motor torque?? lcdpublishing 2006-05-16 13:35:09 UTC Re: Force through ball screw based on stepper motor torque?? lcdpublishing 2006-05-16 13:41:22 UTC Re: Force through ball screw based on stepper motor torque?? ballendo 2006-05-16 14:34:41 UTC Re: Force through ball screw based on stepper motor torque?? Peter Reilley 2006-05-16 14:52:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Force through ball screw based on stepper motor torque?? Codesuidae 2006-05-16 15:02:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Force through ball screw based on stepper motor torque?? lcdpublishing 2006-06-01 14:41:13 UTC Re: Force through ball screw based on stepper motor torque??