CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Volt and amp ratings for surplus steppers

on 2006-05-30 11:37:32 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "rexarino" <rexarino@...> wrote:

> Newbie questions, and apologies for asking basic stuff. I did a
> search of old messages, but apparently didn't use the right search
terms.

> I have a number of steppers from printers and other sources. Some are
> obviously too small for CNC use, but others might work. However, I'm
> confused by the stated volt and amp ratings painted on them. Size
> doesn't seem to relate directly to their volt-amp ratings.
> Do large, weak steppers exist, possibly from older designs?
> Does the volt and amp rating state a maximum for each winding, or the
> total unit, or a stall current, or...?
> Can a 3 volt stepper be operated at higher voltages (and consequently
> higher current) as it seems from the posts I've read?
> How does one identify the capabilities of a surplus stepper?
> Is this in the archives, and I missed it?
>
> Thanks for helping a beginner,
> Rex

Hi Rex,

A stepper has some basic numbers. volts amps, resistance and you can
run the motors using those numbers.

however, if you can pulse a higher voltage while watching the current,
you can make the motor run much faster.

the idea is that if you have a 12 volt motor at 1 amp, and feed it 60
volts, that 1 amp will get there about 5 times faster. of course, if
you watch the amps, you clip the amps once they hit the motor rating.
that way, you don't over amp the motor and burn it up.

Since you need a driver that chops the amperage, they call those
drivers choppers.

As for the "too small for cnc" you can make small machines that will
do real work. small wood or plastic or foam or many other uses.

Dave

Discussion Thread

rexarino 2006-05-30 08:12:44 UTC Volt and amp ratings for surplus steppers Roy J. Tellason 2006-05-30 09:38:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Volt and amp ratings for surplus steppers turbulatordude 2006-05-30 11:37:32 UTC Re: Volt and amp ratings for surplus steppers Rexarino 2006-05-31 07:24:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Volt and amp ratings for surplus steppers