CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: File type for CNC

on 2006-06-01 09:03:50 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "tcg10120" <tcg10120@...> wrote:

> Hello, I am using Visual Mill 5.0. It takes only STL, IGES and Rhino
> files. I tried IGES first to machine a cylindrical channel of .040"
> OD. This was done on a HAAS with a step over of .001" and a .015"
> ball mill. The end result was instead of producing a circular shape.
> The cross section looked more like a v nothch shape. I check the tool
> path. The tool path actully resembled a V shape as well instead of
> being fully circular. Then I tried to reprogram using STL file using
> a step over of .005". The tool path was much better and it was
> circular. The catch is that the CNC file became very large. On this
> small part, the STL file needs 50,000 lines and will take 9000 minites
> to finish. My question is, what is the difference between STL and
> IGEs and how does a CNC software handle them? Thanks
>
> Tony,
> North CA

I use IGES from rhino all the time though going into Mastercam, select
the items go to export selected and at the end of the process you will
be asked which form of IGES you want to use, try some of them out I
suspect one will work perfectly.

Graham

Discussion Thread

tcg10120 2006-06-01 08:25:41 UTC File type for CNC Graham Stabler 2006-06-01 09:03:50 UTC Re: File type for CNC Mika Salmi 2006-06-01 09:58:38 UTC VS: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] File type for CNC