CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Power chucks...

on 2006-06-03 11:00:22 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Mark <mfraser@...> wrote:

> A fellow in the UK "motorsail" designed and sold bits for a
> centrifugally operated chuck for some type of spring collet.
>
> I recall that he machined a small groove or shoulder at the end
> of the workpiece, turned off the spindle motor, which released
> the grip, moved the toolbit into the groove, moved the carriage
> the "right" amount, started a new cycle.
>
> The "right" amount included compensation for back-pull of the
> workpiece as the collet closed (it was pulled back into its
> taper). Of course, the program could always reface the work
> piece after each feed, so the amount of pullback wouldn't matter.
>
> /mark

I forgot about that, I have the video on my PC. Just had a search
around and he seems to have pulled if from his site so I've dropped
him an email. The mechanism would be fine for pure turning but if you
want to add live tooling for milling then its not so good however
perhaps I could use the basic idea, heck any inspiration is a bonus.

Graham

Discussion Thread

Mark 2006-06-03 07:03:22 UTC Power chucks... Graham Stabler 2006-06-03 11:00:22 UTC Re: Power chucks...