CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Constant Velocity unwinder

Posted by Fernando
on 2006-07-18 08:30:01 UTC
THanks for you reply Mark,
The VFD does have analog input it is a Yaskawa VFD, I had thought of
using the capstan and pinch rolls to feed the material, I just wanted
to know if it could be done by just adding some electronics to it
instead of building a whole feeder. The $0.99 suggestion from mariss
does not seem too far off, providing I can design the circuit and tune
the op amp PID components to my application.
Thanks again!
Fernando

http://www.driveswarehouse.com/Drives/AC+Drives/Compact+VFD/L200-037LFU.html
> Not even a front panel or remote operator control box potentiometer
that
> can be disconnected and connected to your source?
>
> Mechanical solutions:
> - Move the motor from the reel to where the feed material exits
> and put a capstan/pinch roller there (i.e. one wide tire on
> the motor shaft and one spring loaded or weighted).
>
> - On good reel to reel tape decks, they ran the tape around
> a swing arm roller between two fixed rollers. The position of the
> swing arm measured the tension and told the reel servo how fast
to move.
> Note that this doesn't just give you a constant feed, it gives
> you the speed required by whatever machinary is processing
> the stock, assuming it has motors to move the stock but not
> strong enough to run the reel. Depending on the stiffness of
> the material you might need several feet of space for the sensing
> setup. Use the swing arm position with a potentiometer, optical
> sensor, switch or switches to generate a 0-10V, 4-20ma, start/stop
> signal, or speed select signals, or up/down signals.
>
> If you know how to use microcontrollers, they can be used as
> an interface between encoders and whatever inputs your system
> needs. Or a PLC.
>
> PC solution:
> you might be able to use the spindle speed control features on
EMC or
> other milling servo controller to drive either a motor or
> a 0-10V input.
>
> Frequency to voltage converters are availible as ICs or as
> industrial modules that mount on a DIN rail. google
> "frequency to voltage converter DIN rail". Can be used
> with a decoded output (usdigital sells converters) from an
> optical encoder - don't use the raw signal as it suffers
> from "bounce" when you are on the edge of line - to produce
> a 0-10V output from the encoder signal. Polarity will probably
> be opposite what you want but you may find some that can
> invert.
>
> Check out http://web2.automationdirect.com/. I have not used their
> products, they were just the first match with an encoder input. But
> their drives have a number of features that are applicable:
> - Digital inputs (start/stop, speed selection, etc) standard
> - 0-10V or 4-20ma analog inputs: standard
> - encoder feedback: optional on some models
> - modbus: standard on most models, optional on others
> - ethernet optional on most models
> You might find other model that have PWM or reference frequency inputs.
>
> google "variable frequency drive "encoder input" OR "encoder feedback"
> for more VFDs.
>
> You should not need to replace the motor if you change drives; you
> should be able to find a drive that will work with your motor, assuming
> that your motor can turn fast enough (with the aid of a VFD that
> can produce a high enough frequency).

Discussion Thread

Fernando 2006-07-17 15:16:45 UTC Constant Velocity unwinder Mariss Freimanis 2006-07-17 16:48:26 UTC Re: Constant Velocity unwinder Fernando 2006-07-17 17:30:57 UTC Re: Constant Velocity unwinder Mark Whitis 2006-07-18 02:10:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Constant Velocity unwinder Graham Stabler 2006-07-18 03:05:20 UTC Re: Constant Velocity unwinder Fernando 2006-07-18 08:30:01 UTC Re: Constant Velocity unwinder Fernando 2006-07-18 08:45:38 UTC Re: Constant Velocity unwinder