CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Small DC motor Caps - what size to use?

on 2006-07-21 19:26:01 UTC
That's interesting. The motor designers I know tell me that if your
commutator is arcing, then it's not advanced properly. Maybe slip noise...

On 7/20/06, Hugh Prescott <hugh345@...> wrote:

> The caps are for suppression of electrical noise that is generated by
> arcing between the brushes and the commutator.
>
> Drives the radio receiver crazy causing loss of control of RC vehicle.
> Probably not needed in a servo system but probably will not hurt. May
> reducewear on the commutator.
>
> Normal values are .1 uf, garden grade bypass caps. Normal to use three,
> case to each brush and brush to brush.
>
> Hugh
> Old RC guy
>

> lcdpublishing wrote:
>
> >Hi guys,
> >
> >A couple weeks ago I was asking about the small caps on the DC motor I
> >was using (R/C car motor). We covered the whys, but not the values to
> >use.
> >
> >I have another motor I will also be using. This one is from a 6 volt
> >cordless screwdriver that originally was intended to run on 4 AA
> >batteries. This motor does not have any caps on it and from what I
> >learned last time, it would make good sense to solder a couple on
> >while it is still accessible.
> >
> >Only thing is, I don't have a clue what size caps to use. Is there
> >a "rule of thumb" or "this should work fine" range you can give me.
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Chris
> >

> >Addresses:
> >FAQ: http://www.ktmarketing.com/faq.html
> >Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com<CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO%40yahoogroups.com>
> >
> >Subscribe: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO-subscribe@yahoogroups.com<CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO-subscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
> wanliker@... <wanliker%40aol.com>, timg@...<timg%40ktmarketing.com>
> >Moderator: pentam@... <pentam%40cncKITS.com> indigo_red@...<indigo_red%40qwest.net>
> davemucha@... <davemucha%40juno.com> [Moderators]
> >
> >OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> >If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it
> if you have trouble.
> >http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

> sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there, for OT
> subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
> >
> >NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING THEM.
> DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> >bill
> >List Mom
> >List Owner
> >

> >Yahoo! Groups Links

lcdpublishing 2006-07-20 07:05:21 UTC Small DC motor Caps - what size to use? Hugh Prescott 2006-07-20 08:09:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Small DC motor Caps - what size to use? Dennis Schmitz 2006-07-21 19:26:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Small DC motor Caps - what size to use?