CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Swiss Machines with live tooling?

Posted by Ken Campbell
From: "vrsculptor" <vrsculptor@...>
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Swiss Machines with live tooling?

> Were there many of these machines made? I've never seen one although
> I've heard the term. Can anyone suggest a brand or model to search on?
> I'm doing trains and something with live tooling and a couple of inch
> swing would be real useful.
>
> Has anyone here converted one?
> Roger
*************
Hi, we are a small job shop;
most swiss types described in mm of bar stock size ::: mostly because they
have so many tools in the way of each other .... most common is something in
the 5 to 20 mm size !!!! very uncommon to see a 2 inch swiss ..... maybe a
STAR, or a bigger ( gulp ) CITIZEN.

Also, tooling is very expensive, so if you score a "cheap" one, be sure you
check on tooling it for something you want to make.

Well, all tooling is not outragous ... most of the manual swiss work from
cams that go around and round, and just " plunge " the tool into the work as
needed. A used machine would probably include the cams ... the plunging
tool holders are about $100 per tool, try for a bucket of those while you
are at it.

********
If you want to cry, look ups Swiss Machine i the yellow pages, and beg for a
tour of these working ... Citizen is the one I would trade my soul for, but
Tornos would be a good mind stretcher also. Programming these would not be
more difficult than juggling oranges with your feet, and chainsaws with your
hands. (g).

I know several Swiss Programmers, and they talk and walk funny, occasionally
break out in tears over nothing, and are avoided in social life by the
general public.
(g)
*********
Hey, I got an extra Hardinge AC chucker, about a 1977 with a factory rebuilt
spindle and air closer ( 5c, 1.063 collets ) if you want to retrofit
something really nice ... it is now relay logic, and since we went cnc,
nobody will "screw" with it anymore ( get it )... something keeps blowing
fuses when I turn it on, it's either a power supply, or maybe one or more of
the 1300 multiple relays in that huge box.... anyway, the iron is still dead
nuts on, and we need the room. We are in Iowa, give me a call if you are
interested. UPGRADE wants 25K$ for a do-it-yourself kit, that would
include AC drive motor and all new gang moving tables, etc.
*********
regards, ken campbell, deltainc-usa.com