CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bridgport stepper replacement?

rocketscientistnate wrote:

>The Z axis on my Bridgeport series I is about to poop out on me. It
>keeps stalling at lower and lower speeds. I'm running a Gecko G201
>driver and would like to know what the best replacement for for this
>motor might be. Theres one on Ebay that looks to me like it might
>work, but if somebody who knows more than I do would be kind enought
>to tell me if it would, I would be most grateful. The link is:

Why is it "pooping out"? Are you SURE the motor is bad? That is quite
unusual.
Generally a stepper either works or doesn't work at all. But, it is
quite rare for
it to gradually get weaker. Are you sure you don't have a lube problem,
or some
other reason for motor overloading? Is this on the knee or quill? I'm
kind of guessing
the quill, because a size 34 is too small for the knee. How are you
driving the quill?
Through the fine feed handle or a ballscrew? Either way, check it out
manually to
see if there is any binding, or more drag than when you put it on. If
this is a BOSS
head, then you have several possibilities for things to bind up, like
the huge ballnut
up in the head. Chips can jam into any Bridgeport quill and bind it
up. Sometimes the
only way to clear them it to pull the quill, which I don't recommend on
the BOSS.
One trick I've used is to wipe axle grease liberally onto the extended
quill, crank
it up and down a couple of times, then extend fully and wipe off the
grease, which
will now be mixed with small particles that were jammed where they
shouldn't be.

Anyway, I really doubt your motor is slowly weakening, I strongly
suspect that mechanical
binding is getting worse and worse.

rocketscientistnate 2006-07-28 16:05:45 UTC Bridgport stepper replacement? Jon Elson 2006-07-28 21:12:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bridgport stepper replacement? Ken Campbell 2006-07-29 16:36:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Bridgport stepper replacement? Ken Campbell 2006-07-30 04:32:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bridgport stepper replacement?