CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Making a rapid prototyper

on 2006-08-01 09:36:19 UTC
HI Sebastien,

I found and mentioned the RepRap project on this list just last week! A bit
after the bevy of posts on self-replication of a few weeks ago.

I hadn't seen the 2nd generation RP head, just the first. Sounds like a
step forward! I'll give it some study. (I wish you'd publish PDF's.)

RepRap is using lower temp materials then I was considering. We recently
purchased a ProtoPulsion Dimension SST RP, and it uses ABS "wire". I'm told
it melts at about 165C, a little warmer! And, the inside of the enclosure
for the RP is heated. Lovely machine!

How hard is the Poly material you're using when it's cooled? The ABS is
fairly hard. And the .07" ABS wire (1.77mm) comes on spools already (no
need to make your own PolyMorph rods! I'm told I can have the tail-ends of
the spools; they leave quite a bit on them in the magazines.

I've designed and have been building a "Baby PCB Router", which at 12" x 12"
x 12" high overall might be an appropriate size to take an extrusion head.
It's currently designed with a 3.25" x 5" tooling plate on the Z axis, and I
have a bracket for DeWalt DW670 trim router mounted on it.

Although I'm currently implementing USB with the PIC 18F4550 uP, my Step4
controller program runs under DOS. I don't yet have a convenient driver for
USB under DOS. And I am a LONG way from getting Step4 ported over to Windoz
(if ever). I am investigating USB-CNC, a windoz controller program. The
extruder control program could run as a windoz program as well! All we'd
need would be some simple handshake between the two processes (I think, help
me here).

I think "self replication" is a long way off (Star Trek, NG), I'm simply
interested in being able to explore a new fabrication method.

Have you considered a two-material extrusion head? The SST also has a dual
extrude head; the second material is a water-soluble structural support
material.

A sintering head would really be making progress! I know nothing about the
process, but expect it needs higher heat and pressure that a hobbyist can
easily handle. Please prove me wrong!

Can't we make the extruder out of METAL? Would that make it smaller and
more compact? I'd also consider a stepper motor for the drive. As I
mentioned, I'm really not targeting self-replication. I'd make the best use
of materials available to me.

Alan KM6VV
Central coast, CA, USA
SherlineCNC list

Discussion Thread

Alan Marconett 2006-07-30 15:46:18 UTC New tool Ed 2006-07-30 15:57:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] New tool BRIAN FOLEY 2006-07-30 16:15:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] New tool Sebastien Bailard 2006-07-31 23:59:56 UTC Making a rapid prototyper Alan Marconett 2006-08-01 09:36:19 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Making a rapid prototyper Sebastien Bailard 2006-08-01 22:04:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Making a rapid prototyper Dennis Schmitz 2006-08-02 08:49:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Making a rapid prototyper Sebastien Bailard - Dubsen 2006-08-02 14:28:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Making a rapid prototyper Dennis Schmitz 2006-08-02 15:33:51 UTC Re: Making a rapid prototyper Alan Marconett 2006-08-02 15:48:03 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Making a rapid prototyper Fred Smith 2006-08-03 06:28:09 UTC Re: Making a rapid prototyper Alan Marconett 2006-08-03 08:09:56 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Making a rapid prototyper Graham Stabler 2006-08-04 02:53:54 UTC Re: Making a rapid prototyper Alan Marconett 2006-08-04 14:52:00 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Making a rapid prototyper Sebastien Bailard - Dubsen 2006-08-16 02:23:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Making a rapid prototyper Alan Marconett 2006-08-16 09:34:11 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Making a rapid prototyper