CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNCing a Logan Lathe

on 2006-08-03 18:13:35 UTC
Anyone else...I am still looking for any suggestions.

Thanks

TMT

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "too_many_tools"
<too_many_tools@...> wrote:

> thanks for the responses....
>
> This lathe does not have the lead screw or quick change box (who
> knows where they went?) but I plan on using a ball screw for moving
> the carriage. Logan has a "T - slot turret carriage" that can be
> found that will allow multiple toolholders which I will likely use
> ball screw for it also. If I find a 4 position turret post, I would
> like to incorporate it.
>
> The lathe does have its power system in place with a three phase
> motor to drive it...again something easily incorporated into the
CNC
> scheme. It also uses a belt drive which I consider to be an useful
> safety link in case of a crash.
>
> You make some very good points about the speed sensing capability.
>
> Has anyone done a lathe like this...I would rather not "reinvent
the
> wheel".
>
> TMT
>
> -- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "turbulatordude"
> <dave_mucha@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "too_many_tools"
> > <too_many_tools@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I have access to a Logan 11" lathe that while missing some
parts
> would
> > > be a candidate for CNC conversion.
> > >
> > > If it was yours, how would you convert it to CNC?
> > >
> > > What manufacturers would you use for the conversion?
> > >
> > > Are there any other modified 10"-12" lathes that you would use
as
> > > model for the conversion?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > TMT
> >

> > Change the ACME screw to ball bearing mount, maybe keep the ACME
and
> > use Moglice on the half nuts if the ACME was in great shape. if
> not,
> > swap it out for a real leadscrew or a ball screw.
> >
> > Ditto the cross slide.
> >
> > put a VSD on the motor with feedback to have a near constant RPM,
> but
> > numerical control
> >
> > a spindle speed sensor
> >
> > Coolant and a near full coolant lathe enclosure.
> >
> > pipe oil lines to all the places needed, and to an oil pump.
> >
> > Depending on the work to be performed, I'd considder steppers or
> > servos. and also on the work to be performed, a spindle torque
> sensor.
> >
> > this last item would indicate a dull tool.
> >
> > If the unit does not have a Tee slot cross slide, I'd also
considder
> > that. a cutoff tool can be mounted on the far side, as well as
> other
> > tooling on the Tee slots.
> >
> > alternativly, a 4 postion turret tool post. Not sure if they make
> > these, or if you'd have to design it. but that or a tool changing
> > system of some sort.
> >
> > Dave

Discussion Thread

too_many_tools 2006-08-01 09:29:15 UTC CNCing a Logan Lathe smitty 2006-08-01 19:08:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNCing a Logan Lathe turbulatordude 2006-08-01 21:55:53 UTC Re: CNCing a Logan Lathe too_many_tools 2006-08-01 22:25:23 UTC Re: CNCing a Logan Lathe too_many_tools 2006-08-03 18:13:35 UTC Re: CNCing a Logan Lathe