CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNCing a Logan Lathe

on 2006-08-01 22:25:23 UTC
thanks for the responses....

This lathe does not have the lead screw or quick change box (who
knows where they went?) but I plan on using a ball screw for moving
the carriage. Logan has a "T - slot turret carriage" that can be
found that will allow multiple toolholders which I will likely use a
ball screw for it also. If I find a 4 position turret post, I would
like to incorporate it.

The lathe does have its power system in place with a three phase
motor to drive it...again something easily incorporated into the CNC
scheme. It also uses a belt drive which I consider to be an useful
safety link in case of a crash.

You make some very good points about the speed sensing capability.

Has anyone done a lathe like this...I would rather not "reinvent the
wheel".

TMT

-- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "turbulatordude"
<dave_mucha@...> wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "too_many_tools"
> <too_many_tools@> wrote:
> >
> > I have access to a Logan 11" lathe that while missing some parts
would
> > be a candidate for CNC conversion.
> >
> > If it was yours, how would you convert it to CNC?
> >
> > What manufacturers would you use for the conversion?
> >
> > Are there any other modified 10"-12" lathes that you would use as
> > model for the conversion?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > TMT
>

> Change the ACME screw to ball bearing mount, maybe keep the ACME and
> use Moglice on the half nuts if the ACME was in great shape. if
not,
> swap it out for a real leadscrew or a ball screw.
>
> Ditto the cross slide.
>
> put a VSD on the motor with feedback to have a near constant RPM,
but
> numerical control
>
> a spindle speed sensor
>
> Coolant and a near full coolant lathe enclosure.
>
> pipe oil lines to all the places needed, and to an oil pump.
>
> Depending on the work to be performed, I'd considder steppers or
> servos. and also on the work to be performed, a spindle torque
sensor.

> this last item would indicate a dull tool.
>
> If the unit does not have a Tee slot cross slide, I'd also considder
> that. a cutoff tool can be mounted on the far side, as well as
other
> tooling on the Tee slots.
>
> alternativly, a 4 postion turret tool post. Not sure if they make
> these, or if you'd have to design it. but that or a tool changing
> system of some sort.
>
> Dave

Discussion Thread

too_many_tools 2006-08-01 09:29:15 UTC CNCing a Logan Lathe smitty 2006-08-01 19:08:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNCing a Logan Lathe turbulatordude 2006-08-01 21:55:53 UTC Re: CNCing a Logan Lathe too_many_tools 2006-08-01 22:25:23 UTC Re: CNCing a Logan Lathe too_many_tools 2006-08-03 18:13:35 UTC Re: CNCing a Logan Lathe