CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] I want introduce myself

on 2000-07-11 19:16:05 UTC
Hi Bob,

Yes, probably several of us have old steppers from plotters/printers
too. They are probably quite light duty for the "dremel setup" you
envision. Easy enough to drive, just use 4 darlington 220 transistors
for each motor. If you have slow enough lead screws, you just might
make them move a small carriage. An HPGL plotter does about the same
thing as a 2D (2 1/2D) engraver, router, what have you. Might be just
enough for you!

Look at the driver circuits in those printers/plotters. They drive the
steppers! Cut them out and try them! Gang up a pair of motors per
axis, XYYZ style! You can mix the steppers any way you want. Even mix
step rates, lead screw pitches, etc, just be sure you can configure each
axis to match the motor.

You asked about robots, guess what, my first robot, built of stepper
cards/motors, and a small Single Board Computer ('79), could just as
easily run a simple XY router today! I executed a "script" of move
commands, which could just as easily be HPGL - type commands.

A parallel port can give you the programmable bits to run step/direction
or phase drives. You might want to look at the PC board (and/or parts)
that MAXNC offers. A couple of open collector inverts to drive the
220-case darlington transistors. Quite simple to do, really.

There is free BASIC software to drive the transistors through a printer
port, something to understand HPGL, or even GCODE.

read:

http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~jones/step/ jones on steppers

http://www.maxnc.com/ MAXNC

http://www.wokingham.demon.co.uk/software/software.htm CNC shareware

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lab/3685/plotter/plotter.htm
home built plotter

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lab/3685/plotter/plotter.htm
CNC

Connect the motors, boards, hardware, run the software! have fun!

Alan

P.S. I (actually most of us) aren't selling anything! We're here to
share information!