CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Newbie has some simple questions

Posted by caudlet
on 2006-08-07 12:37:02 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "William Meincer"
<bmeincer@...> wrote:

> I have developed an interest in building a plasma table (I already do
> metal artwork as a hobby and have a Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma
> cutter). Although I am a EE it has been MANY years since I did any
> electronics work (I am 58 and retired) so I need and want to learn a
> lot.
>
> My idea is to first build an inexpensive small XYZ engraver with small
> stepper motors. From this effort I plan on determining if I want to
> proceed on the more expensive plasma table. Since I also have use for
> an engraver it wouldn't be a waste.
>
> My questions:
>
> 1. Does this make sense?
>
> 1. I plan on only procuring one set of: Software, interface breakout
> board and motor controllers. Does this make sense? Essentially this
> question boils down to: Can I use larger controllers (i.e. Gecko) for
> small motors at first and then larger ones later (I realize an EE
> ought to able to aswer this but I haven't even researched it yet).

William: I too am an EE but in a lot of ways it will work against
you. You will attempt to apply the same in depth analysis all us
engineers do and get lost in the details of how to build a watch when
all you need to know is what time it is!

I have a lot of customers using my THC products with Hypertherm 600's,
900's 1000's and up. You are welcome to join my product support group
at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CandCNCSupport/ and find ou t alot
more about plasma cutting, CNC for plasma and other specific things.
Feel free to ask questions about motor sizing, drives and other home
cnc questions on this list or on the candcnc support list.

We are always happy to have another aspiring torchhead in the group.
You will find that many of us have already been there and done that.

Tom Caudle
North Texas

Http://www.CandCNC.com

Hardware for Home Shop CNC:
Low cost, powered/isolated, breakout cards
AC and DC "Drive Saver" power controls
2nd Generation Digital THC
Handheld Manual Pulse Generator (MPG)

Discussion Thread

William Meincer 2006-08-07 10:43:52 UTC Newbie has some simple questions R Rogers 2006-08-07 11:28:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Newbie has some simple questions caudlet 2006-08-07 12:37:02 UTC Re: Newbie has some simple questions JanRwl@A... 2006-08-07 18:12:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Newbie has some simple questions BRIAN FOLEY 2006-08-07 18:22:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Newbie has some simple questions