CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Mini-Mill ?

on 2006-08-09 18:43:28 UTC
On Wednesday 09 August 2006 20:19, turbulatordude wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a Mini-Mill. The $400 Homier/Harbor Freight kind.
>
> Anyone know who has a good price on one ?
>
> Homier does not show any on the web page, so they are currently out of
> stock.
>
> And, Yes, I want to CNC the thing, so partial projects that others may
> be trying to get rid of would be considdered.
>
> Dave

From this page for a "Starter Kit, Mini Mill"
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1262
they list a number of machines; I think they are all chinese mill/drills, and
interchangable. Wiser heads will correct me if I'm wrong.

* Cummins 7877 Mini Mill
* Grizzly G8689 Mini Milling Machine
* Harbor Freight 44991 Central Machinery Mini Mill/Drill
* Homier 03947 Speedway Mini Mill
* Micro-Mark 82573 MicroLux Milling Machine

It may be a gamble to pick up a partial project off of ebay or similar; you
could save big, you could end up with an expensive pile of scrap and a big
shipping charge. Remember that the quality on the chinese mill/drills is
highly variable, anywhere from "sand in the castings" to "perfect". A seller
might not realize he ended up with a crappy mill and sell it to you with good
will, then you uncrate it and realize it's one of the bad ones. If you buy
it from the retailer, you can return it.

Mind you, I'm reasoning from first principles and other peoples' anecdotes.

-Sebastien Bailard

Discussion Thread

turbulatordude 2006-08-09 17:26:51 UTC Mini-Mill ? Sebastien Bailard - Dubsen 2006-08-09 18:43:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Mini-Mill ? turbulatordude 2006-08-09 20:49:43 UTC Re: Mini-Mill ?