CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Chinese Whispers - Was Angle Iron Ways

on 2006-08-20 16:26:45 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Neil Gillies <neil@...> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> amazing how a simple question on how to "grind" a stupid piece of
> angle iron turns into a debate on "something completely different" :-)))
>
> OK, to comment on some of the answers to my "quest" ...
>
> 1 Fred's solution of rotating 45 deg to use the built-in 90 deg angle
> falls out of my brief - whatever that brief might have been :-)).
> This is essentially cheating :-))) To be truthfull, what I want is
> the angle iron vertical - and I WANT a 90 deg V formed on the edge !

OK, If I understand, you want to have one flat of the angle iron
paralle to the ground, with the other edge vertical to the ground.

And on the narrow edge of the angle, you want to put a pair of angles
so they are 45 degrees from vertical and form a 90 degree included angle.

Fred had is right, lay the angle on it's side and then you can grind
one edge vertically.

Then put two pieces, both on their sides, and rest the part you want
to grind so it sits on it's point and then grind that flat.

The problem you are faced with is the same as everyone. without a
machine to hold all the bits perfectly aligned, you have to do it by hand.

If I wanted to to a loooong section as you mentioned, I would make a
wooden table and use 1/4 x 3 inch... er 6mm x 12 cm flat stock and
skate bearings.

by drilling and tapping the stock, you can use setscrews to get it
flat, and save all that grinding. That way, you can use cold rolled
and have a better starting edge, or use 80/20 or some other aluminum
extruded material.

Make a table that would slide the length and mount a tool post grinder
on it. then slide that back and forth.

I didn't understand your origional question or would have replied more
directly.

Dave

Discussion Thread

Neil Gillies 2006-08-20 15:35:16 UTC Re: Chinese Whispers - Was Angle Iron Ways Graham Stabler 2006-08-20 15:57:50 UTC Re: Chinese Whispers - Was Angle Iron Ways turbulatordude 2006-08-20 16:26:11 UTC Re: Chinese Whispers - Was Angle Iron Ways turbulatordude 2006-08-20 16:26:45 UTC Re: Chinese Whispers - Was Angle Iron Ways wthomas@g... 2006-08-20 20:11:03 UTC W.E.T.[CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Angle Iron Ways bobmcknight@c... 2006-08-20 22:02:02 UTC Re: W.E.T.[CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Angle Iron Ways Alan Marconett 2006-08-21 07:57:25 UTC RE: W.E.T.[CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Angle Iron Ways